Where Can I Buy This Bridge

A friend of mine who I do web work for, Steve Rowen has a site called http://www.pigtailmusic.com. He makes his bridges out of the best materials available and will soon have a bridge on the market similar to that one. Check his stuff out, its top notch.

He designed the intonatable wrap-around bridge for tone-pros, and then designed his own, better, lower profile versions, that is suitable even for no neck angle guitars.

Edited by javacody

Also check out Warmoth. They have a somewhat similar bridge that they use on their "VIP" bodies which are a PRS lookalike.

It is a Gotoh 510

Stew-mac did not carry the intonable PRS style bridge that I wanted, but I found a really nice one from tone pros. It has the additional feature that you can lock the bridge in place with a pair of set screws. That way your bridge doesnt fall off if you should inadverantly loosen all of the stings at once while changing them and it makes intonation more repeatable.

I think PRS doesn't really like the set intonation design, since they have begun using an adjustable bridge in their high end Dragon & McCarty models.

However if you are really set on an original PRS bridge, then your best bet is Ed Roman Guitars in Las Vegas (you should be able to google them). HE takes pride in dismantling PRS's and then breathing new life into them by putting in Seymour Duncan Black Back pickups and God knows what else...whatever!! I got a pair of original Zebra coil HFS & Vintage Bass pickups for $40 each. (Thats half off the PRS price, although they are used, well used). My guess is Ed Roman would probably have that McCarty bridge for ya. He may even give you a choice of Nickel/Chrome or Gold finish.

Good luck

However if you are really set on an original PRS bridge, then your best bet is Ed Roman Guitars in Las Vegas (you should be able to google them). HE takes pride in dismantling PRS's and then breathing new life into them by putting in Seymour Duncan Black Back pickups and God knows what else...whatever!! I got a pair of original Zebra coil HFS & Vintage Bass pickups for $40 each. (Thats half off the PRS price, although they are used, well used). My guess is Ed Roman would probably have that McCarty bridge for ya. He may even give you a choice of Nickel/Chrome or Gold finish.

Oh my God...I think I'm really going to be ill...someone actually gave Ed $80 for two used PRS pickups and bought into the hype on Ed's website...

Oh the humanity!!

Oh my God...I think I'm really going to be ill...someone actually gave Ed $80 for two used PRS pickups and bought into the hype on Ed's website...

Oh the humanity!!

WELL I didn't exactly buy into the hype since I'm buying the discarded parts rather than the ones Ed is recommending. You did read my post right, I'm pretty obviously mocking his recommendations. I just stumbled across the website while looking for PRS pickups. Are you saying his quality is suspect or just that he's a nutjob? If its the former then I guess I screwed up, but if its just the latter, then, no worries, there was no hype packaged along with the pickups, just bubble wrap. And if you know of another place to get PRS parts, please let us know. I'm sure the original poster (as well as myself) would appreciate that.

I know I'd appreciate it BIG time If somebody knew where to buy PRS parts as that's the first thing I'd Buy would be the Bridge since they're so nice but as I thought BiggD asked was where to get a Replication of the PRS bridge and everyone has suggested alternatives for them Nothing exact is available.

The alternatives are many since the first SG's and some LP's used the one piece bridge like those. You'd think that somebody would have made their own castings of a similar bridge but they forget that the PRS bridges are not adjustable for intonation EXACTY like the the original 1 piece bridge.

the only thing that makes ed roman a nutjob is trying to take the attention in the market away from the industry standard and implant his idea of the perfect guitar into your head. i think some idiots are taking the whole thing entirely too far making them no better than the man himself. there is no hype involved in buying something that ed roman doesnt want you to buy but will sell you anyway for cheaper than you would get a chance at. people are allowed to have their own opinions on what is good. ed roman needs to get that through his skull and so do certain people on this forum. just because you have an opinion of e.r. being a crock doesnt make you special or any better than he is by trying to impress your idea of what is necessary or worth it onto other people.

the only thing that makes ed roman a nutjob is trying to take the attention in the market away from the industry standard and implant his idea of the perfect guitar into your head.

I was calling him a nutjob because of the political rants he expresses on his website. I guess he has his soapbox and he intends to use it, but as a businessman, it doesn't make sense to piss off half of your clientele.....nutjob!

Back to the bridge issue.... I've seen lots of the fixed intonation style bridges, but if the bridge radius is set for say a Gibson, wont it NOT work for a PRS radius?

From PRS's Customer Support Center FAQ:

All PRS parts and accessories are available for special order; please contact you local authorized PRS dealer or International Distributor.

Here's the problem I have with Ed, and no, it's not because I'm jealous of him or think I'm in any way superior. Most of his statements are based on hearsay and conjecture. I have a BIG problem with someone who supposedly takes apart $1500-$4000 guitars just to get to their parts which he supposedly sells really cheap.

If someone brings in their PRS to get the pickups swapped out for the BlackBacks (SD Custom Customs), he just keeps the stock pickups without giving the previous owner any money or credit for them. Then he goes and sells the used pickups to you for $40 a pop, and there's no way to tell how old they are. Those pickups were probably worth maybe $10-$20 used.

As for the bridge, their are many aftermarket bridges available that will work the same or even better than the PRS Stoptail. TonePros, Schaller, and Gotoh all make bridges that will work quite nicely. On the other hand, if you do need an "authentic" PRS bridge for a reproduction, you can find them on eBay or your local PRS dealer.

ive seen really crappy sounding deteriorating paf pickups go for almost 200$ on the bay. when if you really think about it the materials in the pickup are half destroyed and its about worth 10 or 20$. just because something sounded good 40 years ago doesnt exactly mean its worth the extra money because its a piece of history. i wouldnt buy anything used anyway, unless i had a chance to test it. im sure the old fool who bought those old paf's was pretty happy when he heard all the microphonic feedback.

oh yeah, and i would seriously go for the tone pros. the fact that it locks makes it worth the money in my mind.

BigD:

I wish you had asked earlier; there was a similar bridge on eBay about a week ago.

And when I say "similar" I don't mean "kind-of-the-same-but-not-really."

I mean that, as best as I can recall, they were nearly identical. (If my memory serves me, the intonation "peaks" weren't identical, but very close.)

I was thinking about bidding on it, but then I found a very old Mossberg bolt-action shotgun at a pawn shop; it was fairly cheap because it needs to be restored. I figured that, if I bought yet another project gun PLUS a bridge for a project guitar (that I'm not ready to build), my wife would shoot me with one of my guns. (Thankfully, she likes the shotgun, and wants me to fix it up for her... so I'm not ducking and dodging #6 shot... yet.)

Other than eBay, I haven't run into any other place that sells/sold anything identical.

D~s

If someone brings in their PRS to get the pickups swapped out for the BlackBacks (SD Custom Customs), he just keeps the stock pickups without giving the previous owner any money or credit for them.

How similar are the black backs to the custom custom?

Edit - how about this bridge?

Stew Mac

Edited by bowser

have you ever played black/backs? they sound great, not my cup of tea but definitly worth the money and from what my ears heard sounded better than stock prs pickups. i wouldnt buy them, but still if it were up to me i would rather have them than the prs pickups. then again id never have a prs anyway, im not into pieces of art that happen to play music, i want a guitar that im not afraid to play.