Gibson-style Neck With Hardtail Bridge?

My statement about "strings hitting the body and pickups" was my attempt at stating the obvious without making Andy the newbie feel stupid.

Nice.. That is one of the first derogotory comments against newbies I've seen on this site.. That may just be because its aimed at me.. or it might not.

But..

I quote..

"If you intend to use a fender style bridge with a Bolt-on or Glued-in Neck, it will probably be worth making the guitar without a neck angle and fitting the neck so that the finger board sits slightly proud of the face of the guitar, using the same dimensions as for Bolt-on Fender style necks"

And..

"Over the years I ahve seen Several Guitars that have been completed with the finger boad flush with the top of the body, as on many Gibson guitars, But with no neck angle. Some of these were fitted with Fender style Tremolo units which could not be lowered enough to get reasonable action. The assumption had been made that as Fender had no neck angle the new guitar would not need one either; the fact that the neck sits proud of the body, in order to give the right action, was completely over looked untill it was too late. In at least one case the Guitar was simply discarded, but others then have the bridge set into the face of the guitar to make up for the mistake"

(Quoted from pages 25 and 26 of Melvyn hiscocks "Make your own electric guitar")

And Quoted from the table on page 23 of the same book. (these numbers aren't to be taken as perfectly accurate)

"Vintage Strat Trem 12.7 MM"

I doubt that the finger board combined with the height of the frets is equal to more than a centimetre and so the neck wood has to be visible above the face of the guitar for there to be no angle.. unless you decide to use a really thick fret board..

On my previously mentioned Strat Copy the combined height of the Frets Fret board and neck stepping Comes in at just over 10 mm Leave in 2.7 mm of action. Where as just the fret board and frets combined total is 6 mm.

Maybe I didn't explain my words properly in the first post but i hope this clears it up

Dammit, IT WASN'T A DEROGATORY STATEMENT!!!!!

If I had said, "Duh, we know this", THAT would have been derogatory. Your original post commented on the fact that fretboards sit "slightly proud" of the face of the guitar. Anyone who's ever played the guitar would know this. We don't need to hear it again from the Hiscock book, which I'd venture to guess most people here either already own or have read from cover-to-cover 100 times.

I wash my hands of this thread. Idch, build the guitar how ever you feel like building it. I hope it turns out well.

I wash my hands of this thread. Idch, build the guitar how ever you feel like building it. I hope it turns out well.

You know, one of things that is great about this forum is that everyone has lots of ideas --and even if they don't respond ,er, exactly to my original post, it's not a big problem --it allows me to see the different variables involved, and maybe see something I'd overlooked

Or even, more fun than anything, get me to change MY idea and do something different.

And of course, I can count on people like you who take the time to read what I actually wrote and try to respond to that helpfully...

Anyway, the issue is resolved --I'm going with the hard tail and no angle. I've decided to reduce the width of the guitar (that back part) and probably add some comfort curves too.

I've done a bit of searching around but i can't find someting on HOW to actually cut an angled neck pocket....

Sorry to hijack but how do you do it?

there is a tutorial on building a jig for this here

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=11956

He's using a hardtail bridge, not a Floyd, and certainly no locking nut. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that he's going to use the nut or the style of nut already on the neck. Again, nothing to see here.

yes...which is why i said " by the way" as in "this is semi-related to the topic at hand but only partially applies to this specific question,it is intended more as general information"

i feel that was more informative than simply "ANGLED HEADSTOCKS DON'T NEED NO STINKING STRING TREES...LISTEN TO ME I AM YELLING!!!!!!!" :D