Prs Custom

Um.......I want to do a P.R.S Custom and have a some experience with woodworking. Where should I start? Has anyone in this forum built one before? I saw 2 when I was searching the forums, but the pics didnt work.

have you seen the main site? theres a lot of this stuff answered www.projectguitar.com wood-- theres so many choices, you can try ebay, www.exoticwoods.com -- pretty cheap there for a 3 peice mahogany body and maple neck blanks are also cheap. hope this helps and check out the main site supply section.

if this is your first try, and really want a PRS, you might want to try using a kit from Grizzly, they have a couple , almost identical PRS kits, with quilted and flamed maple, i sure as hell would love to buy one kit and bring to life one of those guitars:)

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2005/luthier/036.cfm?

Because building your OWN guitar is cool no matter what shape its in. My first was a les paul copy. No it wasn't even close to the craftsmanship of a real LP but I wouldn't have been more proud with the real thing after I completed my first project.

If you want to copy a fine guitar --- Just do it.

Eddiewarlock had a good suggestion. A kit may be a good start. You'll learn without some of the more complicated tasks like frets, inlay, neck building in general. And... those look like a very good kit for the bucks.

Edited by idrum4food

If you want a PRS, why not just buy a PRS

Probably because he doesn't have a bunch of money to dish out for a brand new 2500 dollar PRS.

Edited by thomasteven

If you want a PRS, why not just buy a PRS?

Because making guitars is cool, and PRS is a cool guitar shape.

There is only ONE reason why i starting making guitars, and thats because i couldnt afford to buy all the PRS's, Les Pauls, Jacksons, etc etc that i desired.

Same reason here Rhoads! I couldn't afford a neck thru BC Rich Warlock with one humbucker ( that means custom shop) hell, i couldn't afford any model, so i started to build all my dream guitars, building guitars is fun! you just need the right tool, otherwise, it can become quite a nightmare :D

BTW, where in Australia are you man? Sydney? Canberra? Perth? Adelaide? Melbourne? B)

Thats why I started working on gutiars also. Being a junior high student I couldn't dish out even 600 on a SG, so I bought a crappy silvertone and fixed it up. Don't be afraid to copy the guitar you like dude, do what ever you want with it. Like crafty was saying the devil is in the details so don't cut any corners.

ive seen people build guitars that are way better than the originals. just remember to take your time and spec it out anyway you want. thats the good thing about building it yourself, you can do anything you want to it.

so nobody got into to it to build better versions of guitars that have been in decline in quality over the past 20 years?