Neck Angle(i Know It's Been Done A Million Times)

I'm very sorry, I know this topic has been done to death and back, but I'm still extremely confused with how you would go about getting a 3-4 degree neck angle in a neck-thru guitar with a TOM bridge.

I'm building a Les Paul style guitar with the neck-thru, of course. I don't want to recess the bridge, and I don't understand this thing about glueing the wings onto the body section of the neck wood. How would you calculate the exact place where you would have to glue the wings? I am putting a quilted maple top on and I'm thinking if you glued the wings too close to the fretboard near the top of the body, and then glued the top on, it could possibly be higher than the fretboard itself.

I really think someone needs to do a tutorial with the detailed step-by-step process as to go about building this. I've searched the forum and read almost every post about neck angles, and everytime someone just says, "..recess the bridge.." or, ".. glue the wings on at the correct angle..". None of the posts have clearly explained how to do it.

If someone could draw a diagram explaining this, or even better, do a tutorial, or point me to a good tutorial with explanations of EVERY-SINGLE-STEP of the process, I would be -extremely!- happy.

Thanks so much,

Steve

what silver is saying is, where the fretboard will end, get a protractor and mark the angle (be it 2.5, 3, or 4 degrees) and then cut the wood along that line, then glue the body wings flush with that top surface, and trim any excess neck bits from the back once the glue has cured (fully cured plus some, otherwise you may comprimse the joints)

:DB)

luke

i do it this way:

lay my neck blank down; put the body wings on each side of the neck blank, and then, I lay the guitar template on the pieces of wood, and then i lay the fretboard on the neck blank, i hold it all with tape, and draw on the blanks the shape, that's all, neck angles and neck thru guitars ....some people say is hard, i say it's not, just be careful , best of luck man!

That's where I came into the question with the top being higher than the fretboard.  You'd have to glue the back wings on at a lower place.

you may actually have to do a little math.just do what silvertone said and then subtract the width of your top.

if you can't do this little bit of math,then your guitar building will be a very short phase

I'm very sorry, I know this topic has been done to death and back...

Rhoads, I'm very sorry if I've upset you with posting this again. I did a search and came back with practically nothing, as I've stated in the first post. I have read westheman's tutorial on his neck-thru with quilt maple FB, and I still don't get the whole neck angle.

I forgot to mention I am buying a premade neck, so I don't have as much leeway to work with I don't think. I am still completely new to neck-thru guitars.

If you could get me a link to your pictorial that would be nice. I don't think I saw that when I did the search. The one thing that I think wouldbe a great idea, and would possibly get so many people from posting this same topic, would be for someone to do a completely in depth pictorial or tutorial. I've only been a member for less than a month, and I've seen numerous of this same topic, and I don't think one person came out with a good solid answer.

If you could get me a link to your pictorial that would be nice. I don't think I saw that when I did the search. The one thing that I think wouldbe a great idea, and would possibly get so many people from posting this same topic, would be for someone to do a completely in depth pictorial or tutorial. I've only been a member for less than a month, and I've seen numerous of this same topic, and I don't think one person came out with a good solid answer.

that is because there are too many variables to come up with an easy 1-2-3 color by numbers style diagram.

you need to figure out the math on your particular neck blank yourself.nobody ever told me how to determine bridge height vs neck angle vs fingerboard height.i just used a little logic,a little math,a good straitedge,and a lot of double checking.

most of my guitars don't even have a neck angle,because i use hardtail bridges or recessed floyds,but the one i am working on now has an angle,and i figured that one out all on my own

just apply your logic and common sense

That's where I came into the question with the top being higher than the fretboard.  You'd have to glue the back wings on at a lower place.

you may actually have to do a little math.just do what silvertone said and then subtract the width of your top.

if you can't do this little bit of math,then your guitar building will be a very short phase

Heaven forbid anyone here have to do actual work, Wes!! :D