Mexican Strat Year?

I just aquired a used mexican strat. I am wondering when it was made. The serial is MN4.....

I know M is Mexican and N is nineties....could the 4 possible mean 1994? Were there mexican strats being manufactured then?

Thanks! :D

yes and yes...doesn't it say Made in Mexico under the "Stratocaster" name on the decal?

If you want the exact date, take the pickguard off and look at the inspection sticker. It will have the exact date and the initials of the final QA inspector. That is, if it's the original pickguard.

Edited by crafty

Thanks Crafty! I'm very excited about this piece now...I actually got it for 80 bucks. It does say mexican as well. Next time I string it, I'll rip off the pickguard and have a look for that inspector date.

:D

Yeah, use a screwdriver and take out one screw at a time!! :D

But seriously, $80 is a steal for a guitar like that. The stock pickups are okay, but aftermarkets really sound great in that guitar. I just put a set of EMG-SAs in my '95 mexican strat and it just sounds amazing. It's a good foundation to start a good project with or even just have a testbed for new ideas. The stock tuners are hit and miss. Mine were pretty stable, but I do use the trem occasionally so I replaced them with locking Schallers. That was my first major project because I had to drill out the holes in the headstock a little bigger to fit the bigger tuners.

Enjoy the guitar.

Edited by crafty