Volume Pedal

Hi I was thinking about buying a volume pedal but I got to thinking. Could a volume pedal be just a box with a lever on it that when you turned the lever it just turns a potentiometer? Would it really be that simple? Could I just have an input jack thats wired to a pot, then the pot wired to an output jack and have the lever connect to the pot thus turning it? That seams really simple, would it work properly if this was all I would do?

That's right - my bad! :D It's Hell gettin' old, I tell ya. I guess it beats the alternative. :D

Here's an interesting volume pedal buld:

Volume Pedal

I've seen the same concept implemented with a rotary pot, a tiny spring-loaded roller chain and a sprocket mounted on the pot shaft, although I shudder to think about lubrication issues. B) Guess there's always at least one more way to skin that unfortunate proverbial cat!

I actually thought about doing the chain idea, and I never thought about that slide idea. Thanks LK. But one thing I'm thinking about, wouldn't the values of the pots clash between active and passive pickups? A thing to avoid that I thought about, was having a "passive in", "passive out", "active in", and "active out." And have 2 different circuits for each. But that site you gave said the guy used a 10k pot, so I guess it doesn't matter after it goes through the output jack?

I wouldn't ever, ever use a 10K pot on a passive volume pedal! That will just kill your guitar's output! If you use a 1M pot, I don't think it matters too much if you use active or passive pickups with it. You might want to add a treble bleed cap if you feel it sucks your tone too much.

EDIT: oh, and I would be leary of using a slider rather than a pot, I don't think the action would be very smooth.

Edited by Paul Marossy

• 2 weeks later...

choosing pot vlaues for volume control is a little trickier than youd think (at least than i origionally thought)

you need to look at it as if it were input and output impedances.

so lets say you havea 100k pot and a 1Meg pot. at full volume the effective inut and output impedance to the guitar signal is zero (assuming slider at top, proper pots etc etc) since there will be nothing in the way of the signal.

now lets turn the pot down to 50% resistance (if using audio taper pots it wouldnt be half way along the travel distance but we dont need to worry aboutthat atm)

this means that the guitar signal sees either a 50k resisistor in the signal path followed by a 50 k resistor to ground or a 500k resistor in the signal path then a 500k resistor to ground.

looking at this as input impedances, the 1Meg pot will have a higher input impedance. and as we all know from our pedals, higher input impedance means more highend sparkle on our pedals. so effectivlly the 1Meg pot will cut down on the highs less than the 100k pot.

however, you also have to look at it like an output impedance. the 100k pot will have a much lower output impedance than the 1Meg pot. the lower the output impedance of a pedal the more current it can source and so the harder it will be able to drive any resultant stages. so the 1Meg pot at 50% will mean that resulting stages after the volume control will not be driven as hard as they could be. this could be a problem it could not, depends on your rig.

im fairlly sure it works like that. LK and Paul feel free to slap me upside the head if i got things wrong.

i think thatto give you some idea of values, guitar volume pots are normally 250k for single coils and 500k for humbuckers. also the pot in my marshall high gain passive volume pedal is 250k

hope thats all helpful

JG

your right, I did mean 500k, i have the wiring harness hear and I was looking at each pot and the first one I picked up was B500, which was engraved in the metal and the bass is old, so it was faded, and it looked a lot like 3500. My bad. I'm guessing that the B is to signify its a tone pot because they 2 say B500, and 2 say A500.

hey guys, I was wondeirng if this mod would work to where if both switches were flipped, instead of being a wah, it would be a volume.

crybabymodification.jpg

heres a link to the original picture http://www.geocities.com/j4_student/crybaby.gif

and the site its from...http://www.geocities.com/j4_student/schematics.htm