Drilling Trem/bridge Studs Question

I've recently realized that my bench top drill press doesn't have the necessary swing to allow me to align the bit far enough into the body so that I can drill my stud holes.

I imagine I need a drill press with at least a 12" swing.

Have any of you hand drill your stud holes? I know this hole must be absolutely perpendicular to the body face. I'm just wondering if any of you have used a drill press attachment designed for hand-held drills.

Thanks.

Dave

I've recently realized that my bench top drill press doesn't have the necessary swing to allow me to align the bit far enough into the body so that I can drill my stud holes.

I imagine I need  a drill press with at least a 12" swing.

Have any of you hand drill your stud holes?  I know this hole must be absolutely perpendicular to the body face.  I'm just wondering if any of you have used a drill press attachment designed for hand-held drills.

Thanks.

Dave

I have a drill stand....there's a similar problem, but I overcome that but swinging the drill out over the edge of the table, and passing the wood underneath...that way you can get to any point on the surface.

I've seen another device, a stand that plunges like a router. Cost 36 euros though...

I in the same boat as you .... I had to plug up all six holes due to spacing issues. Turns out the original 6 holes were all over the place... so my

"direct replacement" is not so direct!!!!

I was thinking of using a hand drill for this... but I also question how steady I can keep the drill. I have a drill that has a "bubble level" on it to to keep things straight. Drilling by hand seems to be more of a gamble than anything else.

One simple technique I have seen mentioned here at PG is to take a piece of scrap hardwood and mark your holes on that and use the drill press to drill the holes straight and true. Then clamp your new "template" to the body of the guitar in the correct position and use the template as a guide to keep your hand drill perpindicular to the face of the body.

I am sure there are other methods also, but this is one that I have seen talked about and it seems like it would work fine to me. I have not built a guitar yet that used a TOM or other such bridge that required that exact drilling of the holes.

So far I have only built a Strat copy using a standard vintage style Strat, 6 screw tremolo bridge. I drilled the holes for that using my hand drill, as you mentioned with the bubble level, trying to stay as straight as I could. But I can see where mounting a bridge that uses stud posts may be more demanding of a true and perpindicular hole. When I cross that bridge on my current project ( LP DC) I will either borrow my neighbors 12 " floor drill press or decide the same thing you are contemplating now.

I have had my eye on a couple of drill presses at Grizzly though. They have one that is a reciprocating press and would do a great job of double duty serving as both a drill press and a barrel sander. But, they also have one that is a radial arm drill press, which an adjustable swing up to 34". That one would great for avoiding this problem. Decisions, decisions...