The Pictures You Requested

The neck I bought for this project has a slight warp, and it's an odd size. The guys at Guitar Center acted like this guitar body was worthy of a custom neck. Some members of PG thought I should just fill in the holes and gaps with dowels and blocks, then fit the body to a "standard" neck. (Personally, I'm leaning towards sending it to somebody who has offered to build a custom neck that will fit the body.)

So, here's a pic, and a link to three more. Now what do you think?

Dug05.jpg

MORE PICTURES

WES: You said I should try mounting the neck pickup right against the neck...!

D~s

Edited by Dugz Ink

Too bad you got a raw deal on the neck. Guess you should've used that old Epi neck after all.

It may work out; I'm hoping the custom neck will be better than the Epiphone neck.

And there's no dye on this... unless you're talking about nature's "dye." It's natural Poplar, with a unique personality from the things it's roots grew through. (The dark wood is all Black Walnut heartwood.)

D~s

HAve you tried a tele neck?

That's what we discussed in the last thread; the Tele necks end bewteen the 21st and 22nd fret... even on the 22 fret necks. However, this necks ends even with the fretboard... so replacing it with a "standard" neck isn't possible unless I fill in the gap and then re-drill the holes.

D~s

Dugz, I still think you should patch it up. If it looks to ugly, you could go with a recessed neck plate and the overhang from the neck will cover up the patch from the neck pocket. Heck, a nice recessed chunk of walnut might look cool here, especially if it was surrounded by a ring of paua shell or black perl.

Think of it this way, that body is really fine. What if the next neck you get, for some reason warps after it has been on the guitar for a year? What if it breaks? You are going to have to get another custom neck made. If you fit a standard neck to it, you have no such worries.

What did you finish the body with?

That is a nice piece of poplar.

Ever seen it fresh off the sawmill?

Those darker streaks are deep black, blue, and purple against a bright green background> :D

I'd love to find a way to keep it like that, but it also looks great when it ages to shades of brown.

Sorry!!! It wasn't on this thread so my bad.

If the scale is 25.5 you can get a 24 fet jackson neck from here

http://www.guitarshopsupply.net/product_in...products_id=154

and just remove the 23rd fret and cut it there, then round the heel corners to match your heel pocket. It will be cheaper and eaier than making a customized neck.

What did you finish the body with?

So far, I just have some commercial Tung Oil w/ hardener mixture. I'm not sure if I'll finish it off that way, or use a thin coat of Poly on top. It looks better with better lighting; the oil has really brought out the character of the wood; the Poplar has a hint of fiddle-back, and the Black Walnut lights up like reflective tape when the light hits it from just the right angle. (I put the guitar down in my best friend's kitchen, and used his digital camera for those shots.)

Those darker streaks are deep black, blue, and purple against a bright green background

There was a lot more color and contrast in it before I started wiping on the finish... but I still think it's unusual enough to be a cool guitar. (No... I don't like having stuff that looks like everyone else's stuff.)

just remove the 23rd fret and cut it there, then round the heel corners to match your heel pocket.

That could work... if they have a 24 fret neck that isn't blue. I'll check it out.

D~s