Newbie Question About Soundholes

Hi i'm a college student who was just starting to pick up the guitar. Anyways im too poor to afford anything so i figured i would build my acoutic guitar. I've not quite a bit a woodworking but i've found that building in instrument is really different than cabinetry stuff.

So i didnt even know great forums on building guitars exsisted till i found this one in mysearch for finding info on finishing the project. But the question i have is because i wanted to do something intresting and i'm decent with scroll sawing so i scrolled out this dragon piece right in the soundhole. I was wondering now if it will be produce really adverse affects in the sound.

Also what's the difference for the F type soundholes or the upper corner ones or the normal in thein the middle large soundhole.

I hope you guys have some answers. In anycase really great site and after fumbling through my first guitar i hope it turns out allright.

Hi i'm a college student who was just starting to pick up the guitar. Anyways im too poor to afford anything so i figured i would build my acoutic guitar. I've not quite a bit a woodworking but i've found that building in instrument is really different than cabinetry stuff.

May I suggest that if cost really IS the issue, you'll do much better getting an inexpensive guitar. Yamaha, Takamine, and others have some playable guitars for $200, and you can even get away for just over half that. Or, get one like that used for even less...

If you want to pick up guitar building as another woodworking skill, great. But it won't save you any money in the short term.

Your idea sounds really frickin cool, could we see some pics? I don't really know how much shape and size of the sound hole changes the sound.

You may also want to check out The musical instrument makers forum or MIMF at

MIMF

Click on the button that says MIMForum and then go to the Flat top acoustic guitars and bass guitars section. There are a bunch of great acoustic guitar builders over there.

i don't think it should. it may produce a weaker tone than a regular soundhole, but i have seen some guitars with different soundholes and all. show us some pics, i'd like to see this. building the guitar may be a bit pricey though and troublesome. I see acoustic guitar packages on ebay go for like 30 bucks, though they are prolly crap, its a start and thats what you want im guessing. Hope this helps.

-Jamie

hmmm thanks for all the replies. I've never really posted things before and so i dont know how to post pics though if somebody gives me a quick tip i could post some pics of the guitar so far.

Actually when i think about how much i've spent so far on the guitar its about 100-120 maybe less. The thing that cost so much was the pearl man i never knew that stuff would put a hole in my wallet. Anyways the neck is kinda lookin like crap at the moment cuz their's expoxy all aver the neck can't wait to sand it down.

One last thing does anyone know the typical thickness of a dreadnought guitar. I did hear about MIMF but when i went thereit looked all complicated and didnt have as nice a format as this forum.

Thanks for the advice. ill put it to good use. Ill think about calculating the size of my friend's soundhole and then working it out so i have the same amt of space.

Edited by ddv

oh yea and i meant the thickness of the top. As i didnt know much about guitars i really got creative with building everything. i really should have done more research. I used maple for the top (which i hear isnt so great...sadness) and mahogany for the back sides and neck.

So yea the guitar is almost done. All that's left is the inlay finishing design and carving out the top if its too thick. Any ideas on finishing. Hope it turns out great but if it's decent ill be real happy.