Completely Off-topic Poll

Fluke

Should marijuana be legalized/Decriminalized for personal use  

182 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Why are soda drinks beneficial to people? Should we ban those too since the average north american drinks 5 cans a day, which is 30 grams of sugar in a can, which a lot of officials are saying leads to an increase in diabeaties? Should we ban all caffeinated drinks like soda, including tea and coffee because caffeine is a drug, and when the average consumer stops drinking coffee they also suffer from a temporairy withdrawal?

Are these things illegal though? No, people understand the risk and make the judgement to do so, which is as it should be, letting people have the choice, just like alcohol! Jason

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sepultura, when you say that a joint is "equal to" 22 cigarettes, what exactly do you mean?

When someone smokes weed, they take bigger hits and hold them in longer. However, the daily smoker smokes maybe 2 or 3 joints a day (and that's for an ultra-heavy smoker). When you say equal to, do you mean in terms of damage to the lungs? Do you have a source for that?

What many people don't realize is, marijuana and tobacco irritate different parts of the lungs. Marijuana irritates the upper respiratory system, whereas tobacco does its damage deep within the tiny cells of the lungs. While marijuana may result in a sore throat and coughing, it doesn't cause the emphysema and other serious respiratory problems that cigarettes do. In fact, not a single case of cancer, or a single death, has ever been linked directly to marijuana use, and marijuana use alone.

In case you missed that:

Not a single case of cancer, or a single death, has ever been linked directly to marijuana use, and marijuana use alone.

I'm not really saying alcohol should be illegal, I know I've said that but it wasn't my point, what I've been getting at is that pot should be treated the same or less severely than alcohol. If pots illegal then by common sense alcohol should be illegal being that is worse. But if they want to make pot legal, then if they want keep the booze. But you can't have a less dangerous drug be illegal and a by far more dangerous one legal. It's not right. Although I do think alcohol should be highly regulated, because it causes so many problems and death were as soda and coffee are rarely the cause of death, possibly indirectly but not anything like alcohol. It's not like you can get a dui with a soda, it doesn't really get you trashed.

Anyways sorry I blurred my point, it just doesn't make sense to me why one is legal and one is not and the one thats not legal is not as dangerous! At the least you have to treat them equally, but I still don't think they are equal. Does anybody really think that alcohol is less dangerous than pot? If so next time you see your doctor ask him what he thinks, I highly doubt he will say alcohol is safer. So why then is pot illegal and booze legal? I can't grasp this concept for the life of me. I've lived with some roommates that abused booze and some that abused pot. And I have to say that there is some distinct differences. I would much, much rather live with a pot head, and I would have to put up with the smoke which would bug me a little but I used to be a smoker over a pack a day so I wouldn't hold it against someone because I used to do the same with cigarettes.

Alcoholics are just straight up bad news, cops end up showing up at the door often, there are fights like every other night, with the bad ones you have to keep an eye on them when they over do it, because they choke on their own vomit when they are passed out. They can also just OD, I've had to take a couple friends to the ER because of alcohol poisoning, and another thing to worry about is if they get crazy and try to jump into their car while trashed, which happens often. So to rap it up I will not live with alcoholics anymore, they are way too much of a problem, as for pot heads I would rather not live with one just because it's illegal, but if it was legalized I would have no problem living with one. They are kicked back and tend to not get into trouble, at least all the ones I've lived with. Still if I had to pick between the two I would live with the pot head. Just my opinions which are from all the things I've seen. Later. Jason

Here's the source. I didn't read it, I just did a google search, but I made sure the site wasn't from a geocities site...

"Smoking two or three marijuana cigarettes a day is estimated to have the same effect on the risk of cancers and on the prevalence of acute and chronic respiratory symptoms as smoking 20 or more tobacco cigarettes a day"

Reference.

http://cannabisheaven.co.uk/vaporizers/how...rizes-work.html

In case you missed that:

Not a single case of cancer, or a single death, has ever been linked directly to marijuana use, and marijuana use alone.

I believe it is you that is missing it.

I have referenced this site at most 10 times now. It is pro for medicinal marijuana and gives you all the facts you need to know with hundreds of resources, of books, documentaries, mecial journals, and studies.

http://www.marijuana.com/marimed/ch3.html Read it again. It's lengthy but it's in there. I'll give you a few quotes. Heck, even I haven't read it all yet. Nothing the Find option can't handle :D .

A 1998 study has shown that both marijuana and tobacco smokers have significantly more cellular and molecular abnormalities in bronchial epithelium cells than nonsmokers; these changes are associated with increased risk of cancer.

Both. This isn't saying they smoke both, its comparing those that smoke only marijuana and tobacco, and the studies are showing that they both cause damage which increase the risk of cancer in relation to those who don't smoke. Remember, those who usually do end up getting lung cancer via smokeing, usually get it because they chain-smoke and smoke more than the average person. Studies say up to 50 times or more a day. Have you ever seen anyone smoke up to 50 joints a day? Heck I don't even know anyone or heard of anyone smokeing up to 5 joints a day unless they are in cronic pain or need it with their illness/disease. And that is why they haven't found a single death related to marijuanna, but it is possible. Too much of anything isn't good for anyone, that's a fact.

Results of human studies suggest that there is a greater chance of respiratory illness in people who smoke marijuana.

And this is exactly what's happening to someone I know. I go to an alternative school, I stated what that is exactly, so if you want to know go back a page, I will sum it up though - it is not for youth criminals.

Anyways, this kid joined the school, and all he does is smoke weed every day. I don't know how many times a day though. I was doing an extra curricular activity with him, but I dropped it later on. I didn't see him until the end of the semester which was about 3 months later. He was telling the teacher why he wasn't attending school for the last 3 weeks. He was away because he's having respitory problems, he's seeing doctors, and he can't get any sleep because of it. He didn't just look tired, but he looked pale beyond belief. He MUST be going through a lot of pain, since at my school, class is once a week and an hour long, and you are given one week to do the homework.

jmrentis: Thanks for clearing that up, you're lucky no one else caught on before hand, you were swimming with the sharks there :D And I do agree with you, it is outrageious, but, I guess we just gotta take the cards as they are when it comes to that.

-Jamie

Edited by sepultura999

Here's the source. I didn't read it, I just did a google search, but I made sure the site wasn't from a geocities site...

"Smoking two or three marijuana cigarettes a day is estimated to have the same effect on the risk of cancers and on the prevalence of acute and chronic respiratory symptoms as smoking 20 or more tobacco cigarettes a day"

Estimated ESTIMATED

In case you missed that:

I believe it is you that is missing it.

I have referenced this site at most 10 times now. It is pro for medicinal marijuana and gives you all the facts you need to know with hundreds of resources, of books, documentaries, mecial journals, and studies.

A 1998 study has shown that both marijuana and tobacco smokers have significantly more cellular and molecular abnormalities in bronchial epithelium cells than nonsmokers; these changes are associated with increased risk of cancer.

associated with increased risk.

eating burnt food is associated with increased risk of cancer (dark toast, well done steak ect).

unless you can say how much the risk is increased then to me that statement doesnt really say alot.

Anyways, this kid joined the school, and all he does is smoke weed every day. I don't know how many times a day though. I was doing an extra curricular activity with him, but I dropped it later on. I didn't see him until the end of the semester which was about 3 months later. He was telling the teacher why he wasn't attending school for the last 3 weeks. He was away because he's having respitory problems, he's seeing doctors, and he can't get any sleep because of it. He didn't just look tired, but he looked pale beyond belief. He MUST be going through a lot of pain, since at my school, class is once a week and an hour long, and you are given one week to do the homework.

-Jamie

its silly to try and link two things you know little about, there are a million things that could of caused his respiratory problems; genetic predisposition, the enviroment he grew up in, ect

Holy moly. I only just jumped into this thread, but if the argument is about the health risk of Mary J, you just gotta use a bit of logic--

You are inhaling a foreign substance, period. That can't be good for your lungs.

That doesn't change my vote, though-- I said that it SHOULD be legalized. Provided the government uses the tax money for something other than funding wars creating paranoia and fear. If they use it to subsidize housing and so forth, I'm for it. :D

It may seem like I'm joking, but seriously-- to me it's more important to consider the corporations that will start marketing it (tobacco companies will jump in, and they're very much in bed with munitions companies, sometimes being owned by the same people) and the governments that will be collecting the tax on it than it is to worry about whether Johnny's feeling a little less than motivated because he's stoned all the time.

Greg

Reference.

http://cannabisheaven.co.uk/vaporizers/how...rizes-work.html

I just wanted to point something out, I could be wrong on this but I don't think so. The site is talking about using a vaporizer to cut down on inhaled toxins. To me it sounds like an advertisment for their product the vaporizer. So even though that site is obviously pro weed I think they want you to buy their vaporizer which as they said cuts down on the bad stuff inhaled. I feel this is an agenda, I know they are pro weed but they are also pro buy our vaporizer, so they want to make smoking weed out of anything else sound terrible. I would not consider this a vaild source, yes it is pro weed, but they are pro making money more than being worried about legalizing. And I didn't see any scientific studies done although I might have missed them.

And about the kid at your school, how old is he? It would take a long, long time to develop any serious respiratory problems. I smoked so many cigarettes for years and never did I have any problems, I had a minor cough here and there but nothing that was even noticable. Seriously if it was possible to get serious respiratory issues from smoking weed, it would take many many years for the effects to show up. I'm curious though, so if you see him ever again ask him? I highly doubt that weed has any part in his sickness, but I would like to hear what it is from him, if he knows the cause. It could be just asthma, some people use other names for it or just general names. Years and years ago pot was actually recommended for asthma, believe it or not!

I've had asthma since 3 months old, and it put me in the hospital many times. They would have to give me steriods and adrenline to keep me breathing. Those drugs are a major part of the problems that I now have, they have done a lot of very serious damage to my body. But thankfully my asthma got better in my early teens. I still need my rescue inhaler on a daily basis but I haven't been put in the hosiptal for asthma in a long time. And now you all are welcome to flame me because I smoked cigarettes for 6 years! I know I'm the dumbest SOB you ever met. Funny enough though smoking never made my asthma any worse. It might have if I kept smoking but I quit. And yes it was terribly hard to quit. But thats why I don't feel that the kids problem is smoking, I smoked for 6 years and was asthmatic and I didn't have any worse problems and still don't have any worse problems. I could just be a very lucky person though, who knows? Later. Jason

So let's recap here. It says that 1 joint of marijuanna is equal to 22 cigarettes.

Well I can honest say that that's not true. I must smoke maybe 5 or 6 a night and that is nothing like smoking 132 fags a day.

Hell I smoked about 20 fags in the pub on Friday night and my chest felt a lot worse the next day.

Well I voted for yes.

It is your responsibility to smoke a joint or not, same as alcohol.

When I say it is your responsibility, I mean that like almost everything it can be abused and have serious consequences BOTH for you and your environment.

IF you even decide to make use of drugs and so on you should be well aware of the changes it induces in your psyche, your coordination and so on. So please don't overdo it, and don't do anything that can be dangerous for you or others. Like those criminals who drive completely drunk (maybe even smoking while they do).

I do sometimes smoke a joint or two (sometimes means no more than once every month or so), but only in friend company and at home, where everyone would then also sleep right there or get home with public transportation services.

I dislike daily use of drugs (and alcohol is also a drug), when alone, exxagerating with the dose and so on.

To me, light drugs can be fun and interesting. But I prefer to see them as part of our and others society, and prefer to see them used in a limited way (limited in quantity and occurances).

Whether it is healthy or not or severely unhealthy makes no difference to me as long as smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol are allowed, although it cannot be that dangerous that a limited use would be seriously damaging your health. It is your choice anyway.

There are different good points for legalization.

One of them the cost-cutting factor, the extra taxes for the state (HUGE), the possibility to study it more thoroughly, the serious blow to criminal infrastructures it brings and so on. It would make it easier for people in trouble to seek help because it is less stigmatized. In essence, it would make the whole thing more transparent and safer.

But there is much to say about this.

One thing I think nobody brought up is that a huge part of the drug-related income of criminal organizations goes to funding international terrorism or other criminal organizations. This is also true for marihuana, despite the fact that it is more important for opium-related drugs. You wouldn't believe the money loss it would bring for such organizations...

Edited by Mr.Churchyard

I dislike daily use of drugs (and alcohol is also a drug), when alone, exxagerating with the dose and so on.

Well, when I get home daily. I'll usually roll strong one and open a beer. I usually wait until he missus gets home, roll her one and myself another, open another beer and cook dinner (although I haven't had a beer for the last 3 days). So I kind of fail on all of those points :D

You raised very good points in your post, I couldn't (and haven't) put it better myself.

I'd first like to state that I am not your teacher, so this is the last time I'm going to find a resource here. It's all out there. To obtain it, use a search engine.

ONE MARIJUANA cigarette deposits four to five times more tar in the lungs than a tobacco cigarette. Thus, smoking three or four joints is like smoking up to a pack of cigarettes.

http://www.hempembassy.net/hempe/wnews18.htm

Given a cigarette of comparable weight, as much as four times the amount of tar can be deposited in the lungs of marijuana smokers as in the lungs of tobacco smokers.

http://www.marijuana.com/marimed/ch3.html under marijuana smoke.

Tonemonkey while you do have experience with it, the fact is your observation is flawless amongst the world of science. A cigarette has a filter, rolling papers are just paper, no filter at all. You can get dispossable filters but you lose out on the high. When you have no filter, you breathe in more carbon. Does this make sense? Because that's how it is.

I am not disagreeing with anyone here. I just think people should get their facts straight about marijuana. Especially before you jump on the wagon to legalize it.

One thing I think nobody brought up is that a huge part of the drug-related income of criminal organizations goes to funding international terrorism or other criminal organizations.

That's true, but just remember, Al-Qaedia burned the Opium fields, and now they're growing them again because that is the largest amount of income for Afghanistan. In Canada, I heard that the Supreme Court of Canada has declared now the Hells Angels and other related biker gangs are considered terrorists because of all the drug trades, or something like that, and has declared them an illegal organization. Who knows if they'll act on it though, and I'm not sure since I heard it through hearsay. Also, isn't opium and heroin legalized in Britian for medicinal reasons? Just wondering.

And about the kid at your school, how old is he? It would take a long, long time to develop any serious respiratory problems. I smoked so many cigarettes for years and never did I have any problems, I had a minor cough here and there but nothing that was even noticable. Seriously if it was possible to get serious respiratory issues from smoking weed, it would take many many years for the effects to show up. I'm curious though, so if you see him ever again ask him? I highly doubt that weed has any part in his sickness, but I would like to hear what it is from him, if he knows the cause. It could be just asthma, some people use other names for it or just general names. Years and years ago pot was actually recommended for asthma, believe it or not!

That is if I see him again. This guy was fried out of his mind. All he would talk about is weed and pink floyd. Everytime I'd try and talk about something else, he'd somehow relate it back to weed and pink floyd.

This is really getting ridiculous here. I am telling you the facts, giving you the website, and the resources, even quoting some of them and still you don't believe it, and this is why marijuana is never going to be legalized because people think there is nothing bad to it, maybe because it's so "herbal", but remember, there is natually grown tobacco, and that's just as bad as cigarettes.

You had a minor cough from smoking cigarettes, keep smoking cigarettes and I am sure that cough will develop further. It probably would take many years for the side effects to show up, but that doesn't mean it's okay. There are people who've been heavy smokers since they were 16, and they are still living with no problems, as of yet. That doesn't mean though that it doesn't cause problems. Look at Keith Richards, you can not see him without a cigarette. He's beeen smoking ever since day 1 he started with the Stones. It could be just asthma, I don't talk to him and he was busy with a teacher at the time, however your claim that marijuana can help asthma I find to be another flawed study, just like the driving one.

Why is it that I have to provide the resources, but YOU don't. Why is it that you are all trying to say that the true facts are wrong? Quit spitting on my cupcake and telling me it's frosting. Read the website, it has all the resources you need, including all the information regarding marijuana and the lungs. I have given you the website, a website that isn't hard to remember. www.marijuana.com. The website was started to raise awareness of medicinal marijuana, to give the facts as well as what is good and bad about marijuana. People want to know that before they start doing it for health reasons, because in the end, it could just end up making things worse depending on the disease/illness. They even have pictures of users growing marijuana on it. It is a pro-marijuana site, that is not biased. I suggest before anyone makes another comment regarding health issues, they should check there first.

GregP. I agree with you. Just like how they handle alcohol here in Canada.

-Jamie

Well fair enough, but I only skin up with rolling baccy anyway, which is better (from a loads of nasty chemicals trying to kill you point of view).

And in your quotes (in different postings) it says 1 splif = 22 fags and also that 1 splif = 4 fags.

Anyway, who the hell cares. People will do what they want, some here will smoke, some wont. Doesn't make me feel any different about any one on this board. Do what you please, make your own mistakes, find your own way.

And finally, don't believe everything you read on the net (pro or anti anything). It's generally unsolicited information.

Right then, nearly finished work so I'm off home to chong on the peace pipe. I've just run out of baccy, don't get payed until Monday and my import baccy wont be here until later tonight. Guess I should stop spending all my money on beer and drugs :D

You know, borge, if that makes you sleep better at night, keep smokin' up, then. It's your life and your lungs. The choices you make now speak loudly about the content of your character, and I can tell you that in normal society, nobody likes hanging out with a pothead over 22. Except for maybe Jerry Garcia. He would have been cool to have over for a BBQ jam sometime.

BTW, not one case of cancer has ever been linked to exposure at the Chernobyl nuclear reactor facility or the Hiroshima/Nagasaki nuclear blast sites, but I don't think I'm going to smoke a plutonium roach anytime soon.

Like I said, I don't mind if cancer patients smoke up. I've seen people in the last stages of cancer and I'm pretty sure none of them are going to be driving 150 mph down the highway all lit up. But what I think is simply stupid are young people making dumbass choices that are going to negatively affect their lives and those around them when it's just not necessary. I'd be willing to bet cash money that for every lifelong pothead who doesn't develop cancer or move on to harder drugs at least once, there's a thousand who simply get wasted.

Actually crafty, I'm over 22 and I have loads of mates.

Hell, my folks are 50 and smoke, they've got loads of mates too.

mmm, I have loads of mates over 22 that smoke and are quite popular (as well as mates that don't smoke BTW)

Your statement is not only complete botty drivel, but quite offensive.

And in your last paragraph, I take it the 150mph driver is the pothead that killed your mate. Just sounds like your average wanker to me, nothing to do with the drugs.

Oh and just to top off the last little about the wasters: I have mates who smoke who are Engineers, Doctors, Vets, even one who was in the House of Lords to name just a few. Christ, I live next door to a drugs councillor who has the odd one. I got a degree while smoking everyday (supposedly one of the hardest in the country) so wasters, I think not. Just small minded stereotypes.

You’re Scottish aren't you? Well all your going to do is drink whiskey, headbutt people and beat up the wife. Maybe one day if your lucky you'll die of liver disease.

See stereotypes (like the Scottish one above) are inevitably wrong. (Well except for the Scottish side of my family, that about sums them up perfectly - luckily enough my granddads nearly dead, slowly and painfully which is nice, good riddance :D )

Tonemonkey I agree with you, that people should learn on their own if they aren't convinced. Also, keep in mind, I made the first refernece which was hearsay comparing marijuana to smoking cigarettes. The second reference only compared the tar. Now I don't know much about cigarettes and what's in them, but, isn't there more than one substance? That's all. The point is though, which people aren't getting, is that marijuana doesn't help your lungs. If you believe it does, then you seriously need to read up on carbon dioxide. And you are right, there are a lot of things you can't trust on the net, which is why when I tried to find the reference for you through google, I didn't click on links that looked suspicious (like geocities for example). However, when I give actual references saying that marijuana doesn't help your lungs, and it's from a website that is more gung-ho for it than anyone else, are you saying that they can be lieing? PLEASE! It's not like Ed Roman's site; ranting on and on saying that every guitar is garbage because they don't do direct coupling, they use pickup springs, and glue, and to back it up he says how patriotic he is and says he sells more guitars a week than PRS.

The site I gave to has hundreds of references to books, studies, medical journals, etc. If you don't want to believe it, that's fine, however, I suggest you don't even take advice from anyone at all, because what they can be typing, and speaking can be unsolicited information.

Anyways, I'm done here. I've had a good few rants. I have agreed with everyone I have argued against. The point I was trying to make is that when people try to tell me the facts about marijuana from their own perspective and experience, they should stop right there. Just because you smoke it, or hear from others that do smoke it, doesn't make you or them an expert in the fields of marijuana.

See you in the other topics.

Peace. :D

-Jamie

Edited by sepultura999

ToneMonkey, I find drug users to be offensive, so I really don't care if you found my post offensive or not. And no, I'm not Scottish. My family's heritage is Swedish, German, Irish, and Native American.

No, my friend and his mother weren't killed by someone going 150 mph. They were killed by someone weaving over the centerline whilst cresting a hill, and I was pretty anti-drug even before that incident happened. That just enhanced my feelings a little more. Going to college and watching perfectly intelligent people waste their lives and their parents' money by getting hooked on drugs was a real eye-opener too.

You say that people don't get hooked on ganja--what about you and your friends? Can you stop whenever you want, or are you addicted to it too? And while you're at it, what degree did you receive that is the hardest in your country?

Edited by crafty

OK, lads, enough!! Tonemonkey, we're all suitably impressed with how outrageous a geezer you are, you little bohemian you, and your contempt for drug users (and your extremely healthy sense of self-worth) has been duly noted, crafty, so you two can take it down a notch now. You can either keep this discourse civil, and at least marginally intelligent, or you can kiss it goodbye. Final warning - any further silliness, and this thread disappears.

That's all. The point is though, which people aren't getting, is that marijuana doesn't help your lungs.

And booze doesn't help your liver! But it's perfectly legal. It's obvious that pot isn't good for you, I don't think anyone is trying to make that statement. I think everyone understands that, and they accept the consequences. But again I think alcohol is far more unhealthy than pot and nobody has anything bad to say about booze. If you are going to give people the choice to drink or not, then why the hell would it be different for pot? And about the pot being good for asthma, this was years ago as I said before they even knew cigarettes were bad for you.

As far as pot being worse for the lungs, there are 1000's of chemicals in cigarettes, I've seen the list it fills up a page front and back in tiny lettering. Yes chemicals! There is a filter but this stuff gets through regardless of the filter, it might stop a little tar though. And as far as pot the chemicals are minimal, nothing to what a cigarette is. Much safer, just look at the stats, do you see as many people dying from pot as cigarettes, NO. There isn't as many pot smokers but if you went by ratio it still wouldn't even be close.

And like you said about the smoking taking years to cause problems, that is why I don't think your friends problems were due to smoking. Even if he had been smoking for 5 years, the symptoms wouldn't have shown up that severe.

Anyways my point is pot is less dangerous than alcohol, and alcohol is perfectly legal. If the rules were the same for both I would have no problems, but they are not, and for no good reasons either. And as I said that site I believe is trying to make smoking out of anything other than a vaporizer is bad for you, I think they are trying to sell you on the vaporizer, I wouldn't trust this site! I wouldn't trust most any site, it seems most everyone on the web has their agenda, basically trying to sway you towards something, it doesn't matter if it pro weed or not! I can't believe some random site with some random comparison. Anyone can make stuff up. For every 1 person that is killed in an pot related accident there are 1000 killed in alcohol related accidents. Doesn't make it true, even if they say they have studies. Otherwise all the studies would all have the same answers, and they don't they are all different. Each one wants to make you believe that it is true and they will twist the studies around to make it look like it. I'll give an example:

There was a study a while back, I don't have it off hand but I will look for it. The study stated that pot was the most common cause for visits to the ER. Stating causes of overdose and accidents. And yes you the cases that they tested were positive for pot. So first off pot can show positive in your system for up to a month and they don't have a test to see if your high at the time, so that itself discredits the study. Next of those positive tests I believe over 90% had alcohol in their system, and alcohol only stays in your system for a couple day tops. And another small % showed positive for the heavier drugs like cocaine, crystal, and heroin, these were the overdoses they were talking about, considering it is impossible to overdose on pot. So all they did was twist the study around to make it sound like pot was the cause of all those visits. Even though they were mostly all drunk drivers and heavy drug users. Yeah they had pot in their system, but it wasn't the cause that brought them to the ER. But they were obviously paid to do a study that showed what someone wanted you to think, they had an agenda! And this was a study done by highly trusted organization, funded by the federal government! I got the study from a class I took at my local college in a coarse that was called drug studies.

And thats why I don't really trust any studies, let alone one from the web! Jason

Ahh first time posting in this topic and im kinda scared... seems sometimes this gets a little heated which is fair doos.. considering the nature of the topic...

Before i continue though i wish to ponit out one of the BEST quotes so far IMO...

BTW, not one case of cancer has ever been linked to exposure at the Chernobyl nuclear reactor facility or the Hiroshima/Nagasaki nuclear blast sites, but I don't think I'm going to smoke a plutonium roach anytime soon

Anyway back on subject....

I have many friends including my girlfriend who smoke weed etc and all of them accept that in the long term, it CANT be doing them good...However they also realise that you only live once... your only young one.. n perhaps enjoying the odd joint isnt that bad... to which i agree with them...

A non smoker my self, i dont naturally understand why people like to smoke BUT i understand that people do and have no intentions on trying to lecture others to stop...

Now ive seen a few times on this topic people saying "They are just wasting there lives and Ruining any chances of a decent carreer"...

A very close friend of mine has been smoking weed for the last 2 years regulary (1 or 2 Joints most nights)... He finished school last year picking up A* - B in every subject he took, he has also been accepted back into school for 6th form (like college)....

To me that suggests that perhaps weed and other drugs are not the MAIN cause for "college dropouts"

PLEASE do not take anything ive posted offensivly... nothing ive wrote is meant to be personal and i appologise if anyone takes offense...

~~ Slain Angel ~~

Crafty - My apologies for getting a bit too heated. You have your view, that’s fine. I just don't like being told I'm something that I'm not. We've had (good) words on this board before, I can't see that changing because of this thread. No hard feelings (and I'm from Sweden too - well born there, no Swedish blood in me though)

sepultura999 - I agree with you dude. I said in a post a while back that I find it hard to believe smoking just weed alone is harmless. I smoke with tobacco and I wish I'd never started (tobacco that is). I used to be fit, but now I'm not. Quitting smoking the baccy has been on the cards for a while now. It's one of the dumbest things I've ever done (and that's against some pretty stiff competition). I'll probably go down the same route as my folks and just smoke a pipe.

Lovekraft - If you think that I'm trying to be outrageous or trying to impress people then sorry dude, you're so far wrong. I'm just being honest. I've taken note of what you said and your right, got a bit out of hand. I thought that a few minutes after posting.

Basically, what I was trying to say (in a bad way I know) is that you can't say people are going to screw up because they smoke dope. Yeah, I'm not going to say that some people wont, some will, but often that's because of more than just the dope. The vast majority of people I know who smoke, have decent jobs and have no problems holding them down. Two are the best parents that I've seen. Personally, I've worked damn hard to be where I am today (physically, mentally and emotionally - honest to god, it's been an uphill struggle all the way to this point) and to be told that I'm wasting my life, gets my back up. My life’s damn good, thank you very much and I've earnt everything I have (again physically, mentally and emotionally). How much I have, do or will smoke is irrelevant. I think the philosophy of:

"It doesn't matter if your black or white, rich or poor (smoke or don't smoke), you're either a w**k*r or your not, that's all that counts in the end"

I think Aristotle that said that :D

Right then, hopefully no hard feeling all round. I'd better go and earn some cash. See you later guys :D

The point is though, which people aren't getting, is that marijuana doesn't help your lungs. If you believe it does, then you seriously need to read up on carbon dioxide.

-Jamie

yeah carbon dioxide is dangerous stuff aye :D

Basically, what I was trying to say (in a bad way I know) is that you can't say people are going to screw up because they smoke dope.

yeah im really sick of people thinking smoking dope instantly makes you a dropout/idiot.

i smoked pretty much every day while i was 13-16 then slowed to 3-4 times a week from then till about a year ago now its about 1 or at max 2 times a week.

now im doing a Bsc[tech] on a full scholarship with a b+ average.

i understand weed is doing damage to me but I believe it is to much lesser extent than many other things i could be doing.

binge drinking,smoking tobacco,bad diet ect

i know its no excuse to say "but (IMO) thats worse" but (nearly) everybody has a vice and id rather be smoking weed than waking up too hungover to study or weezing after running 10m from smoking ciggarettes or being too fat to score chicks (not to mention the long term effects of these things) as ive seen in alot of people.

Yeah, I'm going to make this my last post in this thread too. I actually didn't look at it for a while and for some reason looked again this week. As you can tell, I have very, very strong feelings about this issue and I probably should have just ignored the thread to begin with. Later, no hard feelings...