Tuning Peg Question

Hi everyone, i am building my first guitar (a flying v) and i have a question that i havent found an answer for by searching the forum. My question, is how do figure out where to put the tuners on the headstock, is there some sort of mesurment i need to make, or is it just a cosmetic issue.

thanks in advance for any help

It depends on what style of headstock you are building and what sort of tuners you plan to use. Common sense says to make sure they are evenly spaced and they won't interfere with each other. Look for drawings of similar headstocks (or the real thing) and take measurements. Draw a paper template of your headstock and cut out all of your tuner holes. Then trace them onto the headstock and drill them out with a drill press, borrow the use of one if you don't have one.

you need to plan out the placement and debug your design before you ever drill them.and make sure you plan for the strings to wrap around the correct side of the tuners...i have made THAT mistake...and believe me...there is nothing worse than making an otherwise very nice guitar that tunes backwards.

most people design headstocks so that the string path is as straight as possible through the nut.