Can't Seem To Sell Guitar

Stew

I'm a builder, started hobbiest and now want to advance and leave the hobbiest realm. I've sold a few of my guitars on ebay with no problems in the past. Plenty of interst, many satisfied people.

But recently I've posted my guitar twice and hardly anyone bids. Plenty of people watching my auction but no takers. The items are all custom but there must be something I'm missing.

Can you guys give me an idea of what I'm doing wrong or is it just that ebay has fallen to yard sale deals? Any input would be appreciated. I usually hang around the Fender Discussion Pages but their mediator feels that each question is merely "pimping" my guitars for sale when all I really want is input. I figure Project Guitar.com would be the most honest opinion without heads being fogged with Fender.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...=ADME:L:DS:US:8

BTW first time on the forum.

- Stew

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Scott, gotta go with no reserve... offer the guitars up to someone famous for free? don't know if you can swing that you know?

Maybe be people don't like the stewmade logo on the guitar? I know that I would rather have it on the headstock? just a thought?

J Guilford takes pics of the guitars as they are being built, which is a nice feature.

build a website that people can click to so they can find more out about you? also try listing the item at different times...

I dont know looks good to me! I would buy It if I couldent just build it :D Mabye put the logo on the headstock insted of the body. Also you might want to try selling them to your local music store. Some people (people like me) would NEVER buy a guitar off ebay. I personally wouldent even buy a guitar off the internet anywhere. Now amps and everything else, sure, just not guitars. I think (as long as your guitars are good quality) your best bet is to sell to your local music shop.

That's great selling with no reserve but I've been burned on so many guitars by doing this. Let's see, a guitar that costs me about $1200 in parts not counting labor has sold about 3 times in my unexperienced early ebay encounters, sold for an average of $450. I was screwed then. I basically just gave away three guitars going that route.

I've been doing reserves ever since. This is the only time I have not got any interest. I get emails raving about the guitar but nobody wants to buy. I'm thinking if I drop my reserve, then what would normally sell in a shop for at least $3000 would sell for $500.

I think I need the following:

1. website

2. contact music businesses

3. establish a place of business for guitar building.

I'm thinking small shops that sell Custom Shop grade guitars. Consignment, is this a common trade? How do other small guitar companies get known?

My goal is to be in the lower level at Anaheim NAMM 2007.

I got going by build a loyal customer base with my switches, now I am in the process of building 20 tele type guitars and I have a loyal customer base of about 1000 people to sell my guitars against.

A website is huge it puts your name to your product not just some guy building a guitar but a company behind it. Going to a couple of music stores and having them sell your gear on consignment is a good start. the only problem is you need three or four to showcase your different styles. I would put together a brochure together a really nice one then go down to you local store and drop the brochure and that beauty off. just keep on the dealer to see what is happening and what customers are saying about your grear.

-derek

I got going by build a loyal customer base with my switches, now I am in the process of building 20 tele type guitars and I have a loyal customer base of about 1000 people to sell my guitars against. 

A website is huge it puts your name to your product not just some guy building a guitar but a company behind it.  Going to a couple of music stores and having them sell your gear on consignment is a good start.  the only problem is you need three or four to showcase your different styles.  I would put together a brochure together a really nice one then go down to you local store and drop the brochure and that beauty off.  just keep on the dealer to see what is happening and what customers are saying about your grear.

-derek

that sounds like a great idea! I think thats what i'll do when I get about 5 guitars made...

:D Dang Stew, ya finally made it here! B)

Nice to see you here on the other side, hehehe.

I don't know about guitars per se, but I have noticed some other items I've been looking at (some amps) that usually have good activity and movement seem really dead lately, with a lot of them going without a single bid.

I was thinking of trying to move some amps on eBay, but after checking the activity levels of what I have, I decided to sell via other means (other BBS 'boards) and so far have moved everything w/o using eBay.

It might be the time of year, between Christmas credit card bills starting to roll in and tax return season not really here yet, and it being winter when everyone is just a little depressed anyway, so I'd chalk it up to the February Blues. Just a guess...

That is a really cool looking guitar! But maybe ebay isn't the best place to sell your guitars? I think people are often after a bargain on ebay and reluctant to pay realistic prices for more expensive items.

Also going back to what was mentioned above I've also found my pickups sell slower in the Jan / Feb period. I think a lot of folks are still recovering after Christmas.

That guitar is beautiful. I'm sure you'll sell it. The advice offered here is sound. The only thing that stands out to me though, and I hope you don't take this personally but, the "brand" name doesn't inspire confidence in me.

StewMade sounds like you couldn't think of anything better. I know it means nothing, your guitars are beautiful but it just doesn't feel right.

Dave

Well, Stewart guitars is already taken and I didn't want something cheesy like "Cowabunga Guitars". I'm happy with StewMade. Plus it's too late, the name is getting too well known around town. It's like naming your dog differently after the dog has learned to respond to the old name.

Never use a reserve. Pick your lowest acceptable price and open at that. To do otherwise comes across as... not quite shady, but not good.

There are two kinds of auctions- those in which somebody wants to find a buyer for something valuable, and wants to hold out for a good price. The other is in which you are trying to move product ASAP. You have to decide which you are, and stick to that.

My advice would be- why compete with the cheap? You'll always be beaten on price by poor quality new stuff and undervalued vintage stuff. The lower you go the fiercer the competition. Better to make a guitar that can fetch teh highest price.

Part of this comes in the materials you choose- I have a friend who binds books. He can take a paperback and make it into a hardcover clothbound boo for about $25. Or... he can bind it in goatskin and python leather for about $100. either way, his labor is about the same- but the higher-priced materials raise the cost and the price- and his margin. And people who can pay $100 for a book are less likely to be affected by ups and downs- it's a richer market.

Do some research on ebay. What price range guitars are selling best? What features do guitars have to have to compete in a particular price range? Who's your competition? This is another reason to pick top-end hardware carefully, it's part of how people equate custom guitars to others in value.

Then I would be immodest but shrewd about setting a price that will sell, and repeat the ad until it sells. You're not looking for the highest bidder, you're looking for the one person who comes along who wants what you have and is willing to bid on it. In that case I'd even suggest setting a high price, and a Buy-it-now at the same price. If they decide to buy it, it's theirs, they have no risk of being outbid- and that can help on higher ticket items.

Stop thinking of ebay as an auction. It's a marketplace, repeat your listing as long as it takes- if the price is fair, don't worry about it. Someone will eventually come along, and until then, what does it cost you, 5$ per 9-day listing? Spend that fearlessly as marketing money rather than selling the guitar for less than its' worth to you.

More tips:

Say "mahogany body with zebrawood top". don't use the word laminate, it sounds cheap (even though that's what any guitar with a top is)

Include sound clips of the guitar. that always helps sales- mch better than taking your word for how it sounds.

I hate to say it, but that 'Stew Made' script is kinda ugly. OK, I'll be frank- IMHO the name sounds homemade, much more so than the guitar's obvious artisanship. The script on the logo is clunky, the curve above it makes the straightness of the text look awkward- worst of all is the shadowing under teh text. You could use the name and logo by softening it, like by outlining the text in red rather than black... but what guitars have the maker's name on the body? People expect it on the headstock, and will forgive a lot there, but on the body where a rosette would be, it's gotta be dead perfect. The Hibiscus image is relaly nice though- why not use jsut the flowers? I also think the fan shape is fighting with the direction of the zebrawood stripes- try flipping the logo upside down and see how that shape works better.

I'm not trying to be harsh or mean. You asked why it's not selling, and to my eye (I'm an art director) that a part of the problem- and one that could be fixed so as to do justice to this obviously fine guitar.

x189player, thanks for your time. Makes sense. I was afraid that if I started dropping my price to get bids that my credibility would decline. I mean Mercedes Benz does not drop their prices by $40,000 just just to make a sale.

That's exactly it, I have been choosing higher end hardware and has been driving up my margin of profit. But I'm a guitar player and I build these with what I would want in a guitar. I want to make something that's not on the wall at your local music store or Guitar Depot. I'm not focusing on the 14 year old first time guitar crowd, I'm going for the one's who are 35-50+ who can afford something unique and yet has custom features that you can't get from a factory built guitar. I want people to pick my guitars up and instantly know they have something better than anything else they have ever held or played.

I'm working on a line right now that will be totally different from anything ever built, but I need to make a few first as well as find photographers who can convey special as opposed to what looks like a "really nice digital image" photo.

Ebay has been easier than pimping around to local stores who want to lowball price or only want to deal with the top 3 well know guitar names. That's fine but I'm interested in the Cadillac dealer of guitars. I have some artists in mind to offer my guitars to and we'll see what happens. I have an 18 month goal plan to get everything coordinated.

Whew, I feel better already.

- Stew

Stew, That is a fine looking guitar, and it sounds top notch all the way around. I am in that 35-50 age group and have the means to buy guitars like yours. That said, I would never pay $3000.00 for it on Ebay. I would have to play it and really look it over before even conscidering it.

I think some of the earlyier suggestions about local stores sounded like reasonable approches to getting the instruments out there. Maybe a strong emphysis on custom builds to customers spec's (personalizing it) would entice the higher end market, especially if they have the opportunity to inspect the quality of your work at a local store before commisioning work. I also agree that the company behind the guitar plays a huge role in it's value. Your quality control and professionalism are going to be paramount. I guess finally an endorsement by a respected musician (Carlos S./Ted N. & PRS) brings with it a kinda implied sense of quality(not to imply PRS does a poor job in any way). Look at some of the lame guitars that people pay premiums for just because of an endorsment (any guitar endorsed by a member of Korn +$800).

One other point I might through out there is that. The Strat/ish guitar market is pretty heavily saturated by cheap mass production low quality all the way to high end well established companys with highly respected names. I think thats a tuff crowd to compete in. Maybe the other line you mentioned would take you a different direction and set yourself apart from the crowd. I wish you the best with your business, and keep the faith.

Rich :D

What other company puts their name on the body?

http://www.pbase.com/jroy/image/11082238

I'm aiming at a narrower market I guess.

I would never sell this type of guitar for $3000, I don't have a Fender reputation to do that. But what I'm brewing is totally different from any guitar. Anybody can build a normal plain guitar.

My logo is that baseball diamond shape. This is where that hole logo body decal came from....

http://community.webshots.com/photo/85715974/112361680pkqHFr

http://community.webshots.com/photo/85715974/110848734KEnyta

I appreciate the input. My whole gag is Stewmade surf guitars or from the Stewmade surf shop. All of my guitars revolve around the surf culture theme. The zebrawood had a tropical/exotic look to it and I pictured it hanging on some cane mat wall in some hotel in Hawaii. I realize not everyone is going to see my vision. But these are more art guitars than gigging guitars. I agree that if I were building to make another standard guitar with custom features, it would be a huge.......wave to climb to get sucessfull. I'm heading the opposite direction.

Edited by Stew

check out these guys. tim tone custom guitars. They make custom guitars and sell directly to customers. They do have some 'standard' models you can order but mostly they take costom orders. Theyll do anything you want, put any hardware you want. And there not all that expensive. A base model with one of there body shapes and top grade hardware and a simple inlay will run you about $1500 USD. If you go all out custom it might go up to like $5000. I think you should make a site like them.

No offense but comparing yourself to Mercedes isn't fair. Until you're able to give, literally give your guitar to a celebrity that puts it on the map, you're going to have trouble getting $3000 for it. You're an unknown and your first objective should be breaking in and getting recognition. Then, you can start worrying about making top dollar.

By the way, how many guitars have you sold?

12 out of 14 so far.

My buddy is Masterbuilder Dennis Galuszka at the Fender Custom Shop. I've learned a ton of stuff from his from setups to building tips. Almost everyone of my guitars I've taken to him so that he can give a once over of approval. He likes my guitars and says everything is dead on. All he doesn't like is the fact that for so long I've used the nitro cans from Guitar Reranch. He's guiding me towards spending some cash for an airgun setup and to start milling my own bodies and necks.

Dennis says that the only problem with my guitars is that it lacks the famous "Fender" logo on the headstock. The big Fender machine versus the little unknown guy.

The guitars have sold between $1200 to $1800.

Once I've built a few more guitars, I plan to actually have an Art Gallery sell my guitars. Because I'm not going for the standard oversaturated gigging tools that anyone can buy or build. This zebrawood guitar is not the outside of the box I'm planning to sell. But I was curious why this one in particular did not sell.

Tell you what, I'll make a few more and hopefully show in this forum for opinions.

Here are a few to date. (Sorry I don't know how to paste images straight into my message).

http://image34.webshots.com/35/7/42/66/276...66NDnQRP_fs.jpg

http://image09.webshots.com/9/5/48/19/101154819aFgWaE_fs.jpg

http://image16.webshots.com/16/2/31/35/222...35VprUxQ_fs.jpg

- Stew