Can't Seem To Sell Guitar

Stew

I'm a fan of Stew's work (though I've never actually seen one in the fleash as I live on the otherside of the world! I had to ask the same questions...Stew kindly replied and here's what he sent me:

How did you do that frangipani design. It's painted right? Did you do a stencil on one of those vinyl plotters or something and over spray?

Well, I got some clear discarded x-ray film (since you can see through it easier) I have a pair of Hawaiian board shorts and really liked the design. So I scanned the shorts and printed out the image and just traced out the hibiscus flowers onto the x-ray film. Then I went to a hobby shop and bought a heated stencil pen (it's like a fin pinpoint version of a wood burner kit) I cut out the center of the stencil and then purchased pigment and Stew/Mac nitro lacquer in a can, mixed them up and then just stenciled the flower graphics on. I had to use a blow dryer to so that I could apply 3 coats to the graphics. With that Seafoam green background, the image didn't really stand out very well.

I sprayed the background first, then shot a couple light coats of clear. Then I applied the graphic stencil. I had to take a 2000 grit sandpaper to each flower and vine to clean up and sharpen the edge detail. Without the clearcoat in between, I would have dragged the seafoam color right into the white of the flower, making a seafoam/mint green Hawaiian pattern. Then after curing for a few days, shot about 3 coats of clear coat over the entire body.

And your necks...are you making your own or using premade...if so where do you get them and is it economical for the commercial aspirations you have.

I'm using Warmoth necks right now. I love them, I love the compound radius and the Gotoh side truss rod fine adjustment screws they're installing. I may be hitting them up for discounted builders prices but if not, I've got Tommy Rosamond at USA Custom Guitars in mind for necks at a competative building price. We're really close friends and he's got great prices and excellent quality.

Here's a red one...since I'm actively promoting his playfull approach to finish and design:

surfstrat2002.jpg

And here...having a little problem with it in the electronics section...(hope you've got it sorted, Stew)...something completely different. A Chris Craft (classic power boat) styled Jag...with working Navigation light on the back!

CCJag1.jpg

If you press on one of Stew's links you can navigate around his picture site and see some more shots of these and a few other creations...enjoy...I did!

pete!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only fear is that the amount of work, imagination, craftsmanship and materials used outstrip the prices you can reasonably expect from an "unknown". The Big F's Custom Shop can pretty much charge what they like!

Keep up the work though stew, I'm sure there are plenty of more ideas and tricks you've got up your sleeve...I'm still impressed...just stay away from the gothic look...oK!

pete