Flatsawn Neck Through

I am planning on making a neck-through design guitar and i have a piece of flatsawn maple i am planning on using for the neck and center section of the body. I know Strats all use flatsawn necks with truss rods, but these are all, of course, bolt-ons. My concern is that the guitar will be weaker past toward the bridge, past the truss rod.

Does flatsawn have the strength?

I dont know how well flatsawn will work as opposed to quartersawn. in youre making a neck thru, you should have about enough room to turn the neck on its side, should you not? I understand that flatsawn is used and has been used for necks, but for all the time and trouble of building a neck thru, and having a bummed neck sounds pretty disappointing. save the disappointment and use quartersawn. If youre gonna spend the time n money, should do it rite. just my opinion... :D

I'm facing something similar. Sometimes you just have to use whats available, especially if you get the wood for free in the first place. I was given a 1/4-sawn 2X4 (eastern maple), unfortunately, 1/4 sawn the wrong way. :D But i got it split and with some squaring and planing I have 2 neck blanks, each 7/8" thick. Thats just a bit thin for a tele/strat style one piece so i will have to cap with a maple fretboard. The cap should provide a little extra stiffening anyway.

Edited by Southpa

I prefer to laminate the necks I use ( just because I think it adds a bit more stability, only my opinion correct or not???), and they usually are quartersawn more often than not (mainly because when I laminate flat sawn wood is turned on edge making it closer to quarter). I really see no reason why flatsawn would not work Maple is very strong flat or quartered. If you get a thumbs up from Rhodes & Setch I would go for it ( I have a lot of respect for both of their opinions).

Peace, Rich

• 1 year later...

How well would flat sawn walnut work? I have several pieces of it and want to make a bolt on neck (Strat style). I have to double check, but I think they are thick enough that I can use them as is. But if I have to I will glue up some laminates. Once they would be laminated would I have to turn them on end to make them more like 1/4 sawn or would they be fine left in a flat sawn position? I think the pieces are 4"x7/8" thick, but they may be only 3/4" thick in which case they would end up too thin until I finish shaping and sanding them.

I think you could use flatsawn no problem as long as the wood is seasoned enough.

The truss rod has little effect past the point where the neck thickens as it gets near the body. I'd probably use a scarf joint and a headstock truss adjustment with a good double action rod. That way if the rod ever breaks (well, it does happen) you stand a chance of getting it out without removing the fretboard.

You could also inlay graphite bars into the neck.