Coil Splitters

I'm gonna be redoing my les paul, kinda, just shielding it better, rewiring it (Kinda sucks), putting new pickups in. I was thinking about putting push/pull knobs rigged up to split the coils. Can you really tell, and is it worth it to do it?? Or is it just a pain in the butt??

I'm gonna be redoing my les paul, kinda, just shielding it better, rewiring it (Kinda sucks), putting new pickups in. I was thinking about putting push/pull knobs rigged up to split the coils. Can you really tell, and is it worth it to do it?? Or is it just a pain in the butt??

It wouldn't be that hard to rewire, you'd learn something new, isn't that worth it?

Anyways, my perspective - If ya do it and you don't use it, no big. If ya do it and you use it, bonus.

If ya don't do it and you don't use it, again you'll never know, but if you would have used it, you'll have lost out.

Just my $.02

You can use your existing tone knob as a coil-splitter, but you just lose the "9-10" range of the tone knob. Anywhere from 8.9 and below, it's a tone knob and you're in humbucker mode. Once you hit "9", the coil is split, but there's no real tone control for it, it's at 'full' by default.

Maybe I should post a separate thread. ;-)

This is how I do the coil splitting on my mini-59 installed on my guitar! Works pretty good, especially if you're like me and you don't really touch your tone knobs anyhow.

Greg