Multiple part body?

I was thinking about a way to cut expenses of bodies and thought about putting maybe 4 or 5 peices of wood together to create a blank. Then I was thinking about cutting out flames and tracing the negative and putting them together with a dark/red wood and a lighter wood. Is this a good idea or is it possible? I think it would look sweet, but i would only do it with a Les Paul shape because with a strat, the pickguard would cover most of the wood. Thanks

-Hugh

:..lj..:

What kind of wood would be best? I don't have a surplus of money, but I have access to a barn full of scrap/unused wood. I could easily get maple, ash, walnut, or cherry. Those Conklin melt tops are sweet, and I would condsider just doing a top because then I wouldn't have to use a 1 3/4" + thickness, I could use two layers of thinner wood, then put a sunburst sort so finish on it to hide how cheap I was with all those layers of wood... hmmm.

well think about this, what if you build the guitar with all that wood and make a really cool top with say, cherry and maple, then its all finished, plays great, sounds great, but you dont like the fact that all those woods are lamnated. wouldnt it be worth spending 30-40$ on a piece of ash or mahogany for the back?

but of coarse there are companies that build really cool guitars by laminating the woods. but they use diferent thicknesses to create cool patterns. so heck try anything!

I'd just use whats available in the barn and let your own creativity flow as far as the design. Shoot I want to make a puzzle piece body so bad but I just don't have enough ambition at the moment much less the cash to buy what you have a barn full of avalible for free (kind of envious here) :D

While we're on the subject of mixing and matching woods here...

I was told by my woodworking grandpa that i wouldn't be able to make a body that has a piece of maple down the middle and walnut on either side because the grain patterns and pore differances in the woods wouldn't let the glue bond them together, basically. How much truth does that statemant hold? I'd have to imagine hardly any at all, considering how many neck-through guitars use this method. He seemed really convinced that it wouldn't work, though... again, stubborn old guy.... Are there any special tricks to getting two different types of wood to bond together?

While we're on the subject of mixing and matching woods here...

I was told by my woodworking grandpa that i wouldn't be able to make a body that has a piece of maple down the middle and walnut on either side because the grain patterns and pore differances in the woods wouldn't let the glue bond them together, basically. How much truth does that statemant hold? I'd have to imagine hardly any at all, considering how many neck-through guitars use this method. He seemed really convinced that it wouldn't work, though... again, stubborn old guy.... Are there any special tricks to getting two different types of wood to bond together?

of course it will work this one is walnut maple and basswood

Modern day glue  :D  dag nabbit young whipper snappers

Forget modern glue - People have been gluing rosewood and ebony to mahogany and maple for well over 500 years now, with nothin' but good old fashioned hide glue!

The only wood you're liable to have trouble with is something oily like teak or cocobolo - these should be thoroughly wiped with acetone before gluing, otherwise they can cause failed joints due to their natural oils affecting the glue.

yeah that is what it is.made in korea.comes with cheap electronics.but it's cost is not high and if you install high end electronics of your preference you have a great guitar at 1/2 the price of the japanese version.and guess what?the korean body and fret work is VERY good these days.the real difference between this one and the japanese rgt is the quality of the finish.it is good but not as good.i believe the value of these guitars is excellent.i own a korean rgt and i played a japanese one recently and guess what,the playability of the korean guitar is better.

oh and like setch said,glueing different woods is not a problem.it's not like trying to weld two dissimilar metals.if both types of wood have good glueing properties then it will work.by the way my flying v is walnut glued to maple through the body and it is very stable.i have already put it through some abuse while cutting and sanding it and it holds very well

oh and like setch said,glueing different woods is not a problem.it's not like trying to weld two dissimilar metals.if both types of wood have good glueing properties then it will work.by the way my flying v is walnut glued to maple through the body and it is very stable.i have already put it through some abuse while cutting and sanding it and it holds very well

except welding 2 different pieces of metal is a very bad move unless you actually want one of them to corrode (it's always fun to see how people wonder why their creation made from a combination of brass, aluminum and stainless steel is falling apart :D ).

when it comes to wood, I can't see any real problems as long as the wood is dry. glue is more useful than people may think.

and another thing... Well now that I've got my heart set on a 5 peice flame design body... Is the some unspoken rule or reason that I shouldn't have a Strat style body with Gibson hardware (because I have a Tune-O-Matic and Gibson tailpiece that I got for free) with 2 humbuckers? And I don't want a Strat style pickguard covering up all my woodwork... Thanks for your input... You guys are so helpful, quick to respond, and I think that you're here all the time, like I am now. Why didn't I find this site before? The tutorials are GREAT! Thanks so much! I better stop... I'm starting to sound like

an info-mercial

-Hugh

:..lj..: