Anyone Ever Used Onboard Distortion?

Thoughtless 7

I'm looking into onboard distortion for my project, so i'm wondering if anyone has done this before, if so how does it sound?

I'm thinking of getting:

http://www.axesrus.com/axeknobs_files/dqqmod.jpg

£34.00

Artec Quadra Distortion Driver (QDD) ONBOARD DISTORTION EFFECTS 5 DISTORTION LEVELS.ALL PARTS NEEDED SUPPLIED

Easy installation with any Passive or Active pickups in your Guitar or Bass (no mods , as it just replaces one of your tone pots)with instructions.

RUNS OFF A 9 VOLT BATTERY, INBUILT TRIM LEVEL CONTROL..YOU SET THE LEVELS

The 5 levels are: Clean Active, Crunchy AC-30, Overdrive Twin, Marshall Lead and Mega Overdrive.

Also, does anyone know if i can find a heavier pot?

Thanks in advance,

Rudder.

hmm what kidna of distortion are you looking for? and how much you willing to spend? ZVex custom effects do a circuitboard version of the fuzz factory (BEST fuzz on the market, not even gonan put imho, it just is :D) that you can put into a guitar but its quite expensive- £200ish though. matt bellamy from muse has one in all his custom guitars, if you've heard any muse like plug in baby at the start, the feedbacky squeals are off the Fuzz factory and really easy to make, theres a knob for it :D otherwise, i might be tempted to get a boss DS-1 (£34ish) take the casing off and install that?

Edited by donbenjy

Yeah i've heard of Muse, i'm from the same island as them =P. I might do what you suggested, get a pedal and remove it from the casing.

I saw Matts early Les Paul where he cut a hole in it and stuck his pedal in there himself. Looked better then, than it does now imo.

Edited by Thoughtless 7

lol :D that was a nice les paul, i thinkh is custom mansons are better though! anyway, theres lots of FF schematics around the net if you were looking to build one. infact, if you pop over to the muse forums at board.muse.mu theres a thread in kit n tab where this guys making FF boards for about £40 without the casing i think! if you want fuzz, i'd definately check it out :D