Finishing My Fretboard///

Parker_Fly

Im thinking about like taping of the frets and putting some sort of finish over my maple fretboard cause i dont wanna have to deal with it getting wicked dirty.. What do you think i should use, like polyurathane (sp?) or some sort of laquer?? Any ideas?

My Fender American Deluxe series strat that has a one-piece maple neck/fretboard came with a lacquer finish on it - including over the frets. It chipped off the frets after a while but held tight to the wood, and now looks fine.

Just for what it's worth.

Rattle-can poly will stick if you rough up the surface first, like with 400 or 600 grit making sure you don't leave a single shiny spot (or the finish will lift).

If the neck is completely unfinished raw wood, you should seal the grain with sanding sealer and then sand it smooth down to 600 before applying the poly.

Rattle-can poly will stick if you rough up the surface first, like with 400 or 600 grit making sure you don't leave a single shiny spot (or the finish will lift).

If the neck is completely unfinished raw wood, you should seal the grain with sanding sealer and then sand it smooth down to 600 before applying the poly.

Ive been told that i dont need to seal it... its complete unfinished but its maple, isnt maple a dense enough wood that you dont need to seal?

The poly will soak into the grain and leave the surface rough-looking (because rattle-can poly goes on really thin). You could sand that back and apply more poly over the top & repeat until you can't see the grain anymore. Or just apply 1-2 coats of sanding sealer & sand back until all the tiny low spots in the grain are filled & flush with the rest.

Edited by erikbojerik