Can Anyone Recommend Pigments For Blonde Finish?

I need to approximate a classic blonde or aged mary kay finish. I was wondering if anyone has pulled that off, and if so what pigments they ended up using. I'm doing this with water based finish so it has to be water soluable pigment..

I would love to know what experience folks have had with ColorTone products..

yeah i've looked at reranch but I have spray equipment and I want to figure things out form a production standpoint.. not get hooked on rattlecans.. i'm planning to do this a lot.

nitro.. i would love to find a non-nitro solution for my own health and just for the principle of it. KTM9 looked really promising but now i'm hearing that it might not harden very well. I'll have to keep checking it out.

Thanks for the info though. and by the way.. your 7 string you've finished is incredible looking.. major props dude.. I love dyes.

My understanding is nitro should pass a fingernail test in 30 days.. KTM-9 is being touted as the first water based finish that isn't bluish, and has the clarity and depth of nitro but Bassman in another thread is finding out that it doesn't harden like they said it would.

The attraction to KTM-9 was a tutorial by Mike Doolin stating that you can spray 5 coats in one day, 1 hr between each coat.. Drop fill and level any spots on the second day, then shoot 5 more coats on day 3, wait a week and buff out. Sound too good to be true.. and maybe it is. Bassman got an email from Doolin saying that he ha to switch to polyester because of the hardness issues associated with KTM-9. Time will tell i guess.

I don't know, I've read about a lot of Nitro finish jobs that took over a month to pass the fingernail test, depending on the conditions when the nitro was applied, the manufacture of the Nitro, and the experience level of the person doing it.

I don't know, I've read about a lot of Nitro finish jobs that took over a month to pass the fingernail test, depending on the conditions when the nitro was applied, the manufacture of the Nitro, and the experience level of the person doing it.

well.. i live in the humid southeast, it's cold as hell right now and I have no nitro experience so i'm going to stay away!! lol..

Thanks bro,

On the blue guitar and the others I have done recently I have used nitro on can, DEFT, and it has hard within days, sure you can spray 5 coats a day with water based, same thing with nitro and acrylik, but thats when all the hardness problems come! The more coats the thicker the paint gets, and in the case of DEFT and KTM9, they burn thru really good, so everytime that you apply a new coat, you make the one under it "wet" again, then when you polish over all those coats, you seal the top and the clear takes ages to cure. I have tried everything in can, haven't used KTM9 yet, just because all the bad hype about it, but I'm sure I can make it work. It just need a bit of black magic to make it good!

Thanks bro,

On the blue guitar and the others I have done recently I have used nitro on can, DEFT, and it has hard within days, sure you can spray 5 coats a day with water based, same thing with nitro and acrylik, but thats when all the hardness problems come!  The more coats the thicker the paint gets, and in the case of DEFT and KTM9, they burn thru really good, so everytime that you apply a new coat, you make the one under it "wet" again, then when you polish over all those coats, you seal the top and the clear takes ages to cure.  I have tried everything in can, haven't used KTM9 yet, just because all the bad hype about it, but I'm sure I can make it work.  It just need a bit of black magic to make it good!

Well.. i'm just going to go with deft. Can't beat 9.99 a qt! That KTM9 stuff was freakin 40 bucks a quart almost from LMI. Got to order my epoxy.. thanks for the info. Going with an amber dye with black enhanced grain over ash.. deft clear.