Computer Recording

ultraman

Hey guys.

After reading the audacity thread, i decided to download some of the programs mentionned.

Heres my problem.

When I record i get this horrible buzzing sound.

Sometimes, i cant even hear what i recorded, all i get is crackling to the rythm of what i recorded.

Do you have any idea what could be causing this interference?

Thanks a bunch! :D

Sounds like a ground loop or a floating ground. Many things can cause this starting right at the wall plug itself if not wired properly. Otherwise it could be something somewhere in the chain not properly grounded or shielded.

Also, is there the possiblity you're recording to a mic input or something? That could cause this as well.

Is it a laptop?

So many possiblities that what would be most helpful is if you itemize what you're using and how.

I would try to see before recording how things sound by 'monitor'ing your sound source to see if it's happening there. Could be simply you're over loading the mic input and that's it. So start there and check your levels to see if the input source stays below clipping.

It sounds like digital clipping.

I mean, the mic can't get much worse, either-- but it seems to me that your signal is too 'hot' and you are exceeding the limit. The same thing will happen if you talk too loudly into it. I don't know where on your particular setup to control this, but you will need to trim the mic input a bit. Ie. a lot.

To be frank, and not to sound like a butthole even though I know I will-- your efforts will be almost completely wasted using a web mic. :D

Greg

From the symptoms described, digital clipping for sure.

I ran into this same problem when I first attempted to record via the computer.

What I had to do, and the only advise I might give is to purchase an entry level interface if you want it to sound decent.

I picked up an M-Audio Quattro. Pretty cheap and sounded great.

I have now gone nuts and purchased a Mackie HDR24/96 and 32-8 board but still from time to time, do quick punch ins to cubase with the quattro.

A search on musiciansfriend has a number of USB interfaces for $100 or less.

I have never had a lot with regular sound cards. Even if I have the signal chain correct, I usually get odd artifacts or fan noise. As for the mic, you probably won't have much success with that type of mic. A fair converter card (maybe M-Audio Delta 4/4)and maybe shure 57 (for closer dynamic mic) is a nice place to start. A small mixer will help you control the signal. If you are looking to do room recording, a fair condensor (say Studio Projects B3) would capture pretty well. Not a high end setup but will give you fairly good results. I have used N-tracks for a while and it is a nice easy(and cheap) to use interface, and it has some nice Effects that come with it (parametric eq's, compressors etc...). Thats my 2cents, for what its worth.

Peace, Rich

If it's mainly acoustic guitar you want to record, it's tough to beat a small diaphragm condenser microphone. You can pick up a cheap Apex mic that will do the job (and you COULD use it for vocals if you chose to), though you WILL need a small mixer or preamp that provides phantom power. These are sometimes part of the audio card itself, and sometimes a separate item, depending on what is purchased.

I can say this:

Stick with the computer mic if all you want to do is 'fool around' and have fun, because one you get started down the path of getting 'better' components, it will become a full-blown hobby and you'll be spending money on recording equipment instead of guitars.

<grin>

Greg

If you are looking for acoustic guitar mic. I like the Rhodes NT3. Its reasonably priced has a 3/4" capsule (which seems to me to be the ticket for acoustics). 1" capsules will do the job well (especially vocals), but a 3/4" seems to respond a bit better on the highs. 1/2" capsules are great for highs (especially cymbals), but can be a bit poor on the low end responce. If you recording space has so-so sound control, I would focus on closer Dynamic mics. It is easyer to focus on the instrument and avoid unwanted room noise.

There are a lot of real nice mics available for very reasonable prices. I find even the good budget mics can reproduce sound better than I can control the room and instruments. You can also get very clean recordings with reasonably inexpensive converter cards (my delta 1010 is much cleaner than the rest of my signal chain). The one thing I have learned is keep the recording gear simple and clean. The trick is to create the good sound and track that. A lot of people I know spend a lot of time and money on recording gear in an attempt to fix the source of the sound or blame inexpensive gear for bad recording technique. Same goes for recording software. Keep it clean and simple. If you just track waves don't worry too much about fancy midi features that you will most likely not even use. You just wanna be able to hit record and go. A simple mixer interface and such for mixdown and leveling is also nice.

P.S. The cheapest mics I own gets the most use. My Shure 57's.

Peace Rich

We were just talking about inexpensive mics and acoustic guitars on another forum.

I'm absolutely amazed with the results that I got today; a co-writer came over, and we set up a set of cheap ($100/pair) Superlux SMK-H8K mics in the middle of the room... 3-4 feet from my co-writer... and then we recorded the entire writing session. Here's a short sample. (Yes, two mikes are best for acoustics.)

However, to go with these small-diaphram (1/2") condenser mics, you also need mic-pres that supply phantom power. In this case, I'm using an ART Tube MP ($60) on one mic and a Presonus Tube Pre ($100) on the other mic. I panned the mics hard right and hard left, and the ART is much noiser than the Presonus. (Some of the noise is because I was also running two computers and an air purifier.)

So... you need condenser mics, mic-pres with phantom power, and an audio interface... or an audio interface that has good mic-pres (but no phantom power) and dynamic mics, unless you're recording an electric guitar, in which point you could... (the options are overwhelming)

You need to decide what you want to accomplish before you buy anything. If you just want to have fun, buy cheap and play. If you want to record rough work demos (like I do) then expect to spend at least $500 on your setup. If you want to record and produce your own stuff, prepare to spend money on everything from power conditioners to sound treatment for the walls... plus all of the really good audio gear.

D~s

Sage advice, Dugz.

Also thanks for the acoustic tip. I actually OWN 2 small-diaphragm, but I've only ever used one at a time.

I have a Tube MP Studio V3, and the other one could go through my Behringer mini-mixer. The pres on the Behringer are quite noisy, but the combination of a non-gain application (ie. I'm not adding high-gain distortion) and cleaning it up in a noise reduction algo should help.

If you have any other tips for specific acoustic guitar recording recipes, I'd love to see you start up another thread.

Greg