Does This Sound Right? Did I Find It At Last?

I don't think so. This looks like something to HARDEN wood, which isn't really the purpose of sanding sealer per se. Also, unless Babel Fish is lying to me, this claims specifically that it does NOT fill in the grain.

HOWEVER--

I've never used the stuff, and by someone more knowledgable than me looking at the bottle, they might be able to confirm or emphatically refute what I've just said.

:D

Greg

I don't think so.  This looks like something to HARDEN wood, which isn't really the purpose of sanding sealer per se.  Also, unless Babel Fish is lying to me, this claims specifically that it does NOT fill in the grain.

Yeah, well, don't let the word 'dur' fool you, although isn't that part of the purpose of a sanding sealer? I keep reading about people haveing to sand and sand the sealer coat to get it smooth.

Anyway, here's another link talking about a fond dur

they also tell you how to make your own (just add talc and stir!)

I don't think so.  This looks like something to HARDEN wood, which isn't really the purpose of sanding sealer per se.  Also, unless Babel Fish is lying to me, this claims specifically that it does NOT fill in the grain.

Yeah, well, don't let the word 'dur' fool you, although isn't that part of the purpose of a sanding sealer? I keep reading about people haveing to sand and sand the sealer coat to get it smooth.

Anyway, here's another link talking about a fond dur

they also tell you how to make your own (just add talc and stir!)

Sanding paper, "feuilles abrasives" in french.

Or even "bloc abrasif".

I just read your links Idch. Font Dur is sanding sealer, your answer is on the second link you give under "composition" and I translate (loosely): "It's a nitro-cellulose based varnish where an easily sandable substance as been added like talc or kaolin ect..."

Edited by Phil Mailloux

I just read your links Idch. Font Dur is sanding sealer, your answer is on the second link you give under "composition" and I translate (loosely): "It's a nitro-cellulose based varnish where an easily sandable substance as been added like talc or kaolin ect..."

Okay, cool, that's the information I was looking for. Thanks.

By the way, 'sandpaper' in French is "papier verre" --which is why it isn't easy finding things over here. "Papier verre" translates as 'glass paper'...yeah, go figure...

If you speak *some* french ask questions like this at the french luthier's forum, they'll probably be a lot more help with how to find things in france, some of them speak english well enough to answer you back if you post in english.

www.lutherie-amateur.com

EDIT:

I posted the question there yesterday just to be sure and one pro answered: (and I translate again) "Go in the paints section in DIY shops under the brand LIBERON, they've got 1/2 liter cans lightly ambered and transparant. It's dries very well and fills very well too. It's about 15€ a can and you can also find it in pharmacies."

Edited by Phil Mailloux