Semihollow Conversion?

I have an old beater P-Bass body that I am modifying. I was wondering if anyone had ever taken a previously solid-body bass (or guitar), routed cavites out from the back, made a recess around the edge (like for the rear control cavity cover) and inlaid a thin piece of wood over the hole, thus making a semihollow body. I would cut f-holes on the front of the instrument, and use wood putty and grainfiller on the back to make the inlaid pieces flush. I have planned the recesses and the f-holes and they won't interfere with the pickup cavities or the bridge. Has anyone else done that? Does anyone have any advice or stories? Thanks.

-colin

You may want to think about (just as an option) thickness sanding off about 1/4" or so, routing your cavities, and then mounting an entire top to the guitar - it'd certainly be easier to make look good than thin pieces recessed over the cavities. Just an idea.

I have an old beater P-Bass body that I am modifying.  I was wondering if anyone had ever taken a previously solid-body bass (or guitar), routed cavites out from the back, made a recess around the edge (like for the rear control cavity cover) and inlaid a thin piece of wood over the hole, thus making a semihollow body.  I would cut f-holes on the front of the instrument, and use wood putty and grainfiller on the back to make the inlaid pieces flush.  I have planned the recesses and the f-holes and they won't interfere with the pickup cavities or the bridge.  Has anyone else done that?  Does anyone have any advice or stories?  Thanks.

-colin

I plan on doing something similar to the next Bocaster (the Thinline). Just waiting for some warm weather so I can go outside and sand off the existing finish.

But I'll probably place a cap across the entire back, like jnewman suggests, rather than just cover the new cavities-- that's a lot more work, and a lot more difficult to get right. I have some decent maple here for that. I wouldn't go too thin on the cap.

If you don't mind the bass having a slightly different contour in the back, you don't have to thickness sand the entire back --you can glue your cap to the existing edges and then sand out the edges so the whole thing flows. You can make a cut out for the neck plate, that way it'll be recessed into the cap, which would look cool.

My personal opinion is that most guitars are too heavy!

Can you post pics of your progress in the projects section? I'd like to follow this one.