Finish Alder Transparent?

Hahaha! You guys are too funny!

Phil, you're right I got confused there for a moment, with the sanding sealer, lacquer, and so forth...too much for me to handle all at once! Garrr! B):D

Anyway, I think I will do what you said:

1-Sanding sealer

2- Tinted Lacquer

3- Clear Coats

For what it's worth, I AM french indeed. I was born in Besancon, and raised there until I was 18, upon which I went to the US where I studied 4 years and got a Bachelor in Art History...should have majored in guitar finishing, that would have made things more simple for me!

idch: here's the french site: http://www.lutherie-amateur.com/Forum/index.php

Ah snap, I just realized that I used inches on the french site, to explain the neck width I was planning to use...my time in the US has really "dyed" on me... :D

So, do you guys think a 2-3/8 heel and 1-11/16 nut width would make too wide of a neck?

I'm used to playing vintage fender style by the way...but recently tried the PRS wide fat and loved it.

Oh and by the way, I AM french... :DB)

phil, the stew mac link is great, but I'm not sure about blue tint like that because I don't have quilted or flame maple. With some thinking, I think a butterscotch tint or "teck" tint would go in the direction of alder and look much less weird. On the other hand, it may end up looking much better than I think... :D

By the way, since the fond dur is liquid inside a bottle, would you advice me to rub it in, or spray it with a gun?

hendrix. I'm sure that the reason that he posted the Stew link is because the wood on the back of the guitar is alder and Dan is staining it the same way he did the top. Alder can be stained, but I rather use the color on the clear on the case of a blonde finish. And is your alder is kinda redish or darker looking, you can bleach it after final shaping.

Hi Maiden, yes I know what his intention was, and I can't thank him enough for the link. It's superb, and I actually plan to follow that tutorial quite closely.

I really like the way the blue tint looks on alder from the stew mac page, but I don't think it's the look I'm after, in the end.

these are the sort of things I'm after (somewhat):

brian_daughery_2_lrg.jpg

jon_kon_lrg.jpg

to a lesser extent, but still close:

p_aimelidis_lrg.jpg

oliver_strat_lrg.jpg

jimmy_johimbine_lrg.jpg

this is the type of thing I REALLY don't want to end up with:

bob_vogt_lrg.jpg

chrissclontzm.jpg

randyall.jpg

I know some of them aren't alder wood, but the tint is what I was refering too.

You can see from the ones I don't want, that I want a darker tint, similar to glossy dark mahogany.

My alder is kinda redish and shows a lot of grain too.

Hey phil, this is for you: :D ... :D

Thanks again guys! B)

Good morning,

If someone wnated me to give them back the second one from the top and handed we a raw alder body I would:

1)Do all the sanding.

2)Stain it with a dye stain, Like Behlen Solar-Lux. Probably something in the maple or hickory range. Thinned out. Use multiple coats.

3)Seal it with lacquer sanding sealer.

4) adjust the color by tinting the sanding sealer and spraying a little color.

5) Clear sanding sealer.

6)Lacquer top coat.

Stay away from M*nw*x types stains on alder if you can. They tend to get cloudy.

This should be a piece of cake. Stop worrying.