Stewmac Alternatives

all i can say is: if u do not have a top notch-table saw (or close to it) i wouldnt even consider the blade, cos the lower end models have VERY crude fences

but it could be a money saver for more established luthiers, as perry said earlier, why save 50 on tools when u can make 75 extra per hour on labour.

Edited by where's the beef???

I agree LGM, I'm not knocking Stew, just wondering about the blade. I never said that I didn't like the blade that Stew Mac sells, in fact it's great, but just that I was wondering if anyone else found the same blade for a better price. I've looked all over with no luck, so I'll stick with Stew Mac's also. I've always had great luck with Stew Mac myself and have bought thousands of dollars worth of tools from them, but it can't hurt to look for the same item for less. Grizzly is hot on Stew Mac's trail and I can see them really competing with them heavily within the next couple of years if they don't watch out.

As far as using the blade, I've seen a video at Wayne Guitars where they use a radial arm saw to cut the fretboard slots, and is the way I plan to do it also. Video Link. Click on the Sawing A Guitar Neck And Fingerboard link after you go to the main video page to see what I'm talking about.

Those Wayne Guitar videos are cool.

If you can set up a jig like his radial arm saw fretboard cutting jig, it should make fretting a snap. Heck, I'd imagine you can even canibalize the 'templates' for the StewMac mitre saw box and rig it up that way for maximum accuracy.

Greg

Those wayne videos are awesome.. I learned a lot early on watching those.

Before i get the stew blade i'm going to have a local machine shop make me one out of a plywood blade. 20 bucks for the machining. With a decent but cheap plywood blade and the machining you could have a standard size blade ground to size and have less than 40 bucks into it.. no stabilizers, standard size..

I know there was a website out there that showed how to make one, but just as an FYI...

Im going to make a neck jig like the one stew-mac sells.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_suppl...52.html#details

It looks to have no more than 50-60 Dollars worth of parts, but stew-mac will sell it to you for a mere $355. Not bad for a 2x4 and a sheet of plywood with some holes in it....

Anyway, harborfreight has machinist dials for 6 bucks each (granted, they aren't great, but for a neck jig the .0001" accuracy isn't really needed), and some ratcheting tie downs for 4 dollars each.

Mcmaster-carr supply has swivel head levelers for about 4-5 bucks.

Grab some T-nuts (a few bucks for a pack of 50), some standard bolts, a scrap piece of plywood and a 2x4 and you're there.

Shouldn't cost much more than 50 bucks. It would probably cost around 75 if you went and purchased the thumb-screws and made it exactly like theirs... :D

• 2 weeks later...

I built one of those neck jigs, and it works great, and saved a pocketfull. I got my gauges at Lee Valley here in Canada. I think they were 20 canucks each. They were the pricey part.

I'm starting to outfit a shop from scratch, and so I really like this thread. I've gone through my Stew catalog and decided what I need, and now I'm trying to find some of the stuff around town for less. I won't mess with some of the stuff that's neccessary, but I don't think it all is. A guy's gotta be able to get a straight edge for less than $56.

Billy

A guy's gotta be able to get a straight edge for less than $56.

Not really. Take a look around at any good straightedges, and you'll probably be paying at least StewMac prices. I've heard that the StewMac ones aren't as accurate as some other brands, but that's another story. Straightedges aren't cheap. Period. That's why I just use a good ruler or a square. Not quite as accurate, but I don't have that kind of dough to burn right now.

A guy's gotta be able to get a straight edge for less than $56.

Not really. Take a look around at any good straightedges, and you'll probably be paying at least StewMac prices. I've heard that the StewMac ones aren't as accurate as some other brands, but that's another story. Straightedges aren't cheap. Period. That's why I just use a good ruler or a square. Not quite as accurate, but I don't have that kind of dough to burn right now.

My dad's a retired machinist with a boatload of tools. Guess what I've got my eye on? :D