Standard Telecaster Bridge Pickup Replacement

TimTheSloth

Hi, I've never replaced the bridge pickup in a standard telecaster. It looks like I'm going to have to take out the saddles to remove the bridge from the body and get access to the pickup, is there a way to avoid this? Also if anyone kowns of any links to seymour duncan little 59 or vintage rythm stack wiring diagrams off hand I would appreciate them as well.

Thanks for the help,

Tim

Edited by TimTheSloth

Hi, I've never replaced the bridge pickup in a standard telecaster. It looks like I'm going to have to take out the saddles to remove the bridge from the body and get access to the pickup, is there a way to avoid this? Also if anyone kowns  of any links to seymour duncan little 59 or vintage rythm stack wiring diagrams off hand I would appreciate them as well.

Thanks for the help,

Tim

Tim, depending on the saddle positions you may be able to remove the bridge plate screws with removing the saddles. You just kind of push each one aside as you need to...you'll see. If you do have to remove the saddles, then just put them back on when you are done, and re-intonate with your tuner.

For your wiring diagram go to...

http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/suppo..._bridge_hb.html

If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

Nothing new to add to the excellent information already provided.

Just wanted to mention I use the Little 59 in a Tele-style guitar (actually a Pacifica 302 not a true Tele) and have it rigged up for coil split with no new hardware needed. I can't remember how I did it, but I could always open up the control cavity and take a snapshot (making people cringe at my crap soldering skills) if you're interested.

The way it works is with tone at full, the coil gets split. Obviously that means that you can't use tone control on it in single coil mode.

Once you go below "9" it's back to humbucker and you can in fact use the tone control.

Greg

Thanks for the help guys. I was able to get the bridge off only removing one of the 6 saddles and moving the others to the side.

Insteresting Idea about splitting the coild, I hadn't thought of that. Have you guys found that it makes a big difference in your sound? I would like to keep my tone control fully operational if possible. I've never really done any real wiring on a guitar before, but have done some minor electronic work. I'm up for learning, would replacing the pot with a push pull pot be a much bigger job?

One last question, On both of the wiring diagrams (http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/support/schematics/tele_bridge_hb.html) I can't tell where the red and white cables are supposed to connect, it just says "soldered together". Anyone know what this means? I'm assuming they go somewhere...

Thanks very much for the help guys, I truely appreciate it.

One last question, On both of the wiring diagrams (http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/support/schematics/tele_bridge_hb.html) I can't tell where the red and white cables are supposed to connect, it just says "soldered together". Anyone know what this means?  I'm assuming they go somewhere...

Thanks very much for the help guys, I truely appreciate it.

For typical straightahead wiring, they do not connect to anything except each other. Solder the red and white wires together, then wrap some tape around the connection or use heat shrink insulation if you have it.

Now for a coil split push/pull switch, this red/white conection would also be soldered to one of your spliter switch lugs. See this diagram... http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/suppo...matics/hr2.html

They are using a mini-toggle switch, but with a push/pull pot it is the same.

This feature gives you the ability to switch from the hot humbucking tone to a thin, bright single coil sound with the flick of a switch.

Personally I prefer as few switches as possible...plug in and go. But that is just me.

Thanks for the quick reply and the diagram, that explains it the wires, thanks.

All this splitting talk got me to thinking of whether or not it would be a good idea to also split the Vintage Stack that I have in the neck position (I assume the red/white wire on it is for the same purpose). Has anyone done this? Would it be possible/smart to do this on the same push pull pot or is there another better option. Would it be worth the extra effort?

Thanks again everyone.

I picked up a push/pull pot, but I have no idea how to wire it. It's a standard telecaster 250k push pull, ALLPARTS part number EP 0285-000 DPDT.

I got the pickups installed. I set it up with the pull pot to switch the lil 59 between series and parallel mode. Big thanks to noplugsjustinfo aka Paul of specialtyguitars.com for the help he gave me. I also designed and installed a custom pickguard while I had it off the body, you can check out pictures of it in this thread if you want: http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=15204

It sounds great thanks for all the help everyone.

Tim

Edited by TimTheSloth

I got the pickups installed. I set it up with the pull pot to switch the lil 59 between series and parallel mode. Big thanks to noplugsjustinfo aka Paul of specialtyguitars.com for the help he gave me. I also designed and installed a custom pickguard while I had it off the body, you can check out pictures of it in this thread if you want: http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=15204

It sounds great thanks for all the help everyone.

Tim

I'm glad I could help ;-)