Trying To Find A 24" Ss Etched Ruler

Devon Headen

Looks like a winner. Does anyone have any idea why the machinist rules ar so much more expensive? Are they straighter? I might use this for fret work until I invest in straightedges, cause it would be much less cumbersome than the aluminum square I've been using til now.

Woodcraft is a high end woodworkers shop.. we have an actual physical store here. i go here all the time. They sell nothing that is junk. It's not like grizzly or harbor freight that you have to be careful what you buy.

A cabinetmakers rule is going to be a good piece of equip. Cabinetry is serious business and those guys have to have ultra precision tools and instruments.

Rockler is another good online store, they have the rules too but I stopped at woodcraft. You might price compare between the two. Or look at mazon. These days, amazon sells for just about everybody and you can get free shipping sometimes.

Yeah, there's a woodcraft a couple hours from here I've been to before. I'll probably go ahead and get it from them, I was just wandering if machinist rules had tighter tolerances. I might even go ahead and get the full set for all kinds of stuff. I already have a 6" one, but it can't hurt to have two for that price.

That's why I thought I was going to need a machinist's ruler, because I couldn't find 64ths in a 24" length. THe link posted up there has one for 9.99. Hundredths would be very nice for doing decimal layout (I prefer working with decimals).

Starrett has them. They ain't cheap, but you'll never have to buy another.

http://catalog.starrett.com/catalog/catalo...210&GrpTab=Spec

I hate to rain on the parade, and I'm sure the Woodcraft ruler is a nice ruler, but it is NOT a 24" ruler with 1/64" divisions over the entire length. If you look at the photo on the page, the first three inches have 32nds, the fourth inch has 64ths, and the rest of the ruler is 16ths.

hmm...looks like you're right. I thought that price was way too good to be true. Oh well, $30 isn't ridiculous anyway.

$30 seems really pretty good to me... of course my only rulers right now are a 4' 16ths ruler and a 12" 32nds ruler :D (I'm using a template for fretting).

I may have to pick up one of the good ones too.

Edited by jnewman