Hey Kevan...do You Give Everyone Such A...

Guest Filthy McNastie

Guest Filthy McNastie

Warm welcome?

If you're "sure this has been asked a million times....", then try a SEARCH in the Inlays/Finishing topic (where this question should have been posted initially).

THREAD CLOSED.

Here's the Forum description taken right from your front page.

General discussions about working on guitars.

Maybe it's just me...but...I would consider re-finishing a guitar a fairly "general" question.

And...while I did read a few threads on this particular forum...I must admit that I did not take the time to peruse through your entire freaking board to make sure I was posting my question in the right forum...(seeing that whole general thing and all)

Maybe you should change that line to..."General EXCEPT FOR REFINISHING QUESTIONS...DO NOT ASK A REFINISHING QUESTION OR KEVAN WILL MOST CERTAINLY SMITE YOU DOWN!!! discussions about working on guitars"

So...I will consider myself duly chastised and head on to a board that WANTS new members instead of running them away.

And you can keep that Welcome Wagon at the ready for the next person that comes in.

L8.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you dont like Kevan then dont come back, simple as. Jees you have 2 postand you think you know how things are done around here. If you did a full comprehensive search you might have found about 40+ threads atleast on what you want to know. I was reading these forums for months before i signed up.

sorry for acting all 'mod' i just think his post is out of order

Warm welcome?

If you're "sure this has been asked a million times....", then try a SEARCH in the Inlays/Finishing topic (where this question should have been posted initially).

THREAD CLOSED.

Maybe it's just me...but...I would consider re-finishing a guitar a fairly "general" question.

And...while I did read a few threads on this particular forum...I must admit that I did not take the time to peruse through your entire freaking board to make sure I was posting my question in the right forum...(seeing that whole general thing and all)

Maybe you should change that line to..."General EXCEPT FOR REFINISHING QUESTIONS...DO NOT ASK A REFINISHING QUESTION OR KEVAN WILL MOST CERTAINLY SMITE YOU DOWN!!! discussions about working on guitars"

So...I will consider myself duly chastised and head on to a board that WANTS new members instead of running them away.

And you can keep that Welcome Wagon at the ready for the next person that comes in.

L8.

Way out of place dude!

Hopefuly you won't be back! :D

I speak for myself, but I know there are other people that will share my opinion. Newbies to guitarbuilding are absolutely welcomed here, but if you come here with no knowledge, and are too lazy to use the search function I don't want you here anyway. This is a serious forum. Granted, not as serious as the MIMF, but this is a place where I think just about every contributing member respects other contributing members' opinions as long as they're intelligent. If you want everything handed to you on a silver platter, you will not go anywhere in life. I'm sure if you sincerely apologize you can still visit here without too much friction. Otherwise don't come back.

Hey Kevan...do You Give Everyone Such A..., see ya!

First time I've seen that action. Someone must've passed wind over his cornflakes this morning. :D

Hey, lets not get TOO **** about this. To answer your question you don't necessarily have to sand right back to the wood so long as you figure the existing finish is still solid and won't react with what you plan to cover it with. Just scuff it up and smooth it out then recoat. If there are imperfections you could shoot a solid coat of filler primer, sand smooth and then topcoat and clearcoat. There, now that wasn't so hard to do was it? Lets try to keep a professional FRIENDLY attitude going here.

Edited by Southpa

Imo Kevan could have been a bit more diplomatic. I mean the guy opens with "I am sure this has been asked a million times" which is not a statment of belief its just one of those things you say, tentetive steps into a new forum, an ice breaker. And Kevan beats him over the head with it. If he is so easily angered then he should not be a moderator. It was the guys first post, and perhaps now also his penultimate. Of course the newsbies need to be told the rules but if its done in a way which scares them off then its a bad thing imo. Give them chance ffs.

chris

Edited by nollock

But still the point of the matter is that the dude posted once and got told what to do and not to waste everyones time. He could just have accepted the fact that he made a mistake apologized and prolly would of got an apolagie back, but instead he goes off the deep end and attacks kevan. From what ive seen here on the board everyone is usually nice and respectful to each other. Who would want to post on a board with a bunch of pricks. In my opinion each should apolgize to each other and let it better water under the bridge and get back to whats more important..... BUILDING GUITARS!!!!!!!

Im a nice guy so ill give this dude some slack. Its the actions that they do after the response that piss me off. If you see that this guy has posted 2 comments. Thats INCLUDING this one. So his question was the first ever. I would think that this guy came into this forum with no knowledge of how this place works and the funtions that come with it. Yeah, he shouldve used the search feature but also, he probably didnt know about it. What I see is pointless though is that half of these people that get pissed is because their thread gets closed because of clogging the forum with useless junk and than they post this crap. 2 new topics when it shouldve just been one. And no unhappy customers. But how this guy acted by posting this Topic was worthless.

Hey, stuff happens. (Homer Simpson quote there) It's how we react to that stuff that makes us who we are. Do our actions make it worse? or better?

We all ask stupid questions once in awhile. The other day I had to get Brian's help through email to figure out the download section. After he told me what to do, I was slapping my forehead and saying "Doh!!" (homer again) Thankfully, he explained it very nicely without coming out and telling me that it was a STUPID QUESTION! I guess I'm just saying that there are good ways and bad ways to handle situations.

In this situation, I think a simple reminder of the search function would have sufficed. If the new guy continues to not use the search after being told a few times, then stiffer reminders and thread kills MIGHT be appropriate. But being chased away for not using the search function is a bit harsh.

At the same time, the new guy could have apologized and remained here. But I understand his frustration, since it was his first post. Sometimes one has to work up alot of courage to come out of lurkdome and actually post. There may be a certain amount of "stage fright" there, and then when the hammer came down, he just blew up.

Kinda like getting the opportunity to play on stage with Vai, or Satriani, or Page, or Beck, etc. Then when you timidly hit your first chord, they come over and scream at you and pull your plug.

{quote=originally posted by: "A smartass prick that has no business moderating a music board"}....

Congratulations! That little crack just bought you a 2 week read-only vacation!

WooHoo!

(P.S.- if you'd done a tad bit more searching, you'd see that your statement isn't accurate.)

Your word; not mine.

And here's the description taken from the Inlays and FINISHING section:

"Discussion about making your guitar look its best."

So my statement (and the title YOU posted in YOUR own thread) was correct, but that makes me the bad guy? Uhhh...ok.

I even provided links to both the SEARCH and to the Inlays/Finishing section. I'm a jerk because you don't want to click on them?

Yeah.

Kinda like getting the opportunity to play on stage with Vai, or Satriani, or Page, or Beck, etc. Then when you timidly hit your first chord, they come over and scream at you and pull your plug.

Aw, come on. Satch wouldn't come over and scream at you. He's a nice guy.

Vai would give you that dirty "Crossroads Battle" look, Page would be too stoned to notice, and Beck would just come up and say Rick Jaymes-style, "What did the five fingers say to the face?" *SLAP*

Anyway, I do remember my very first post here and the first response was Perry Ormsby telling me that I was full of the brown stuff and little else. I almost just said forget you and this forum, but I chose to defend my position and stick around anyway. It's been fun and I've learned a lot from mostly people like Kevan, Perry, and Drak (I wish I knew his real name). Hell, even Kevan helped me work through some stuff in my Trademarks class last fall, too.

These are all good guys, and this is a good forum. And I'll paraphrase Harry Truman: "If you're looking for a friend on the internet, buy a dog." Let's all lighten up here.

Ha! Ha! Vai, Satch, Page, and Beck was funny, and probably about right!

I reread my previous post and felt it came across as more harsh than intended. I had a grin on my face and was trying to be tongue in cheek when I wrote it, but not sure it came out that way. Maybe I should learn to use those little faces to show emotion... :D

I was intimidated when I first joined because I was always seeing people getting hammered for not researching before asking a question. And that search function doesn't always work as well as I would hope, either. So I appreciate it when a little slack is given to those of us who screw up once in awhile.

But I don't like what the guy is saying after the fact about this forum and the moderators either. The wealth of information on this forum is worth far more than any temper tantrum thing where you walk away mad spewing insults. Like I said before, it's how you react to a situation that makes it better or worse.

I've never been a moderator, and I don't think I could be one. It takes alot of time and effort, I'm sure. I think the guys here do a fine job overall, and I should take this opportunity to say thanks and I support them.

But, I do have a beef with Kevan because he called my camphor burl "driftwood". :D

I was intimidated when I first joined because I was always seeing people getting hammered for not researching before asking a question.  And that search function doesn't always work as well as I would hope, either.  So I appreciate it when a little slack is given to those of us who screw up once in awhile.

If you're on a forum, and post BEFORE doing even the slightest bit of searching, you're gonna get what's coming to you. Sorry, but online forums have been around long enough for people to know that. Hell, there's even a Flash cartoon about it. I've seen other forums where folks are suspended IMMEDIATELY if they fail to use the Search prior to posting. I mean, that makes me look like a pushover!

I'm not going to apologize for telling some one to search then closing their thread (esp. when I point out the topic to search and give them a link to the Search button that's at the top of EVERY page).

I've never been a moderator, and I don't think I could be one.  It takes alot of time and effort, I'm sure.  I think the guys here do a fine job overall, and I should take this opportunity to say thanks and I support them.

Thanks, man. It's appreciated.

But, I do have a beef with Kevan because he called my camphor burl "driftwood". :D

I'd love to explain this, but it's sort of a very long and convoluted inside joke, and one of the big reasons I retired from "that other site". It wasn't meant as a dis on you; it was meant as a rip on the admin over on that other site.....he being a professional wood grader and all.... :D

Well gotta say the name "Filthy McNastie" doesn't strike me as one thats on the up and up course but I've been known to be wrong before. I think what makes me wonder though is of course the posting of a refinish question in the construction section followed by an off topic question in the construction section.

Were all here to learn and while people are really quick to jump all over Kev's butt for doing as he see's fit within the guidlines, think about what was posted to begin with. I mean you said that your sure it has already been asked a million times so instead of doing a little look around on your own in the proper section you do what?

Yeah ask a simple question of which you said yourself it's pretty much been asked way more then once, and the crowd jumps Kev for directing you to post in the proper section of the forum and use a fuction that sooner or later we all learn.

Perhaps Kev's wording was not to your taste or liking but to come back and see everyone start jumping on a band wagon against him because he was obviously not respected to begin with

(originally posted by: "A smartass prick that has no business moderating a music board")
which is just breaking the most basic of all general rules on top of posting in the wrong forum section twice?

It's a wonder he didn't give you a vacation or warning for that, now is that showing his intent in trying to help you or does that say he is just being what you called him to begin with cause he can take further action?

Think About IT!

So that got me a 2 week read only huh Kev?

Well Woohoo! right back at you hoss...

Just because it was my first post in this forum doesn't mean it's my first run around a bulletin board my friend.

And...I didn't ask for your apology...if you want to drop the hammer on a noob that comes in asking a question for the first time because he didn't use the search function...then you go right ahead...I can guarantee you that an attitude like that will kill a board quicker than anything else...I should know...I've modded a couple myself and seen it happen.

One reason that I didn't use the search function...is because I didn't have a lot of time to dick around looking for an answer to my question...while you may have all day long to sit around and rack up posts/read every thread on the internet...I just want to get my guitar painted and move onto the next project.

I personally have been in bands just about my entire life, I currently own 6 guitars and 9 bass guitars, am in the middle of building a home studio in the back room of my house and regardless of the nickname that I registerd with (one that I've used on a buttload of other boards) am an all around ok guy.

Why am I telling you this?...because you DID act like an asshole...and even though I'm a little unsure of taking an old finish all the way down to the wood on a freaking Tele that I'm trying to redo...someone like me could potentially bring at least a little bit of knowledge in other areas to a place like this.

As far as you "banning" me...or making it a "read only" week for me...you probably ought to not be such a hard ass about it.

If I WANTED to post on your forums...I would...Filthy McNastie's # 3 through Infinity waiting in the wings with an anonymizer and about 1000 different e-mail addy's at my disposal,

I'm not an asshole though...so i'll respect your ban...who knows...maybe you won't be one either next time someone comes on and asks a simple question.

L8.

One reason that I didn't use the search function...is because I didn't have a lot of time to dick around looking for an answer to my question...while you may have all day long to sit around and rack up posts/read every thread on the internet...I just want to get my guitar painted and move onto the next project.

This is exactly what bothers me. You don't have time to use the search feature, yet you expect everyone to find time to answer the same questions that have been answered 50 times in the past????

How arrogant do you have to be to believe that your time is more valuable than anyone else on this board? It would have taken you all of 5 minutes to do the search and get your answer, it would take longer than that to ask a question and wait for somebody to answer it for you.

I've been building guitars for quite a while now, I've completed over 200 mod's, refinishes, or complete from scratch guitars. I can tell you right now, if you haven't got the time or patience to use a search button to find your answer, you haven't got the time or patience to repaint a guitar.

Sunday morning.....just outta bed. Start my PC, check my email, check projectguitar.com. Stubled on this thread....same old, same old.......funny as hell.......and then I read this.

Ahum?! B)

I'm still speechless. :D

I didn't know god created people like this. :D

* Edit: Darn LGM you beat me to it. *

Edited by RGGR

Hmm please dont shoot me when you have finished reading this BUT....

Why dont we just close this thread?

Mr Mcnastie messed up... we have punished him... he has had his say... and we explained it all to him...

The mods on this board are amazing... End of... without them this board wouldnt be half as good. They keep it organised and fast making it easy to find what we need... ** Search **

Once again just want to say thanks to the Mods and *please* close this thread... or move it to another area...

~~ Slain Angel ~~ :D

This is exactly what bothers me. You don't have time to use the search feature, yet you expect everyone to find time to answer the same questions that have been answered 50 times in the past????

How arrogant do you have to be to believe that your time is more valuable than anyone else on this board? It would have taken you all of 5 minutes to do the search and get your answer, it would take longer than that to ask a question and wait for somebody to answer it for you.

I've been building guitars for quite a while now, I've completed over 200 mod's, refinishes, or complete from scratch guitars. I can tell you right now, if you haven't got the time or patience to use a search button to find your answer, you haven't got the time or patience to repaint a guitar.

How Arrogant do I have to be?

You're serious aren't you?

This place is called "Project Guitar"

Not "Project Search Function"

I asked a guitar related question...I got the hammer dropped on me because I didn't follow a rule that's not even posted anywhere... and you're calling ME arrogant?

Look bubba...I can totally respect you backing your boy on here...but let's not just make **** up to do it.

If the truth be known...probably every single question here has been asked in a different form over and over 1000 times...hell...just lock the place down and put a search box on the front page...

Arrogant...what a freaking joke.

As far as the person wondering whether or not God made people like me...yea...he does...you should be glad he made someone like me that was willing to ask questions...

After All

That's what your entire board is!!!...Q & A!

L8.

Hey, L8 (Filthy)

Looking at your original thread........I must say Kevan was bit quick with slamming door shut at you. Specially being newbie and all.

Because yes, we all ask a question or two that has been asked before........

But with attitude like this.....

You make yourself look bad.

And now on to your question........as we are here to build guitars for that matter......

No, you don't have to sand guitar down to bare wood for refinish. Yes, you can......to remove scratches or so........but in process you also sand down layers of sanding sealers that later have to be brought back on to guitar to seal the wood. Bit useless process if guitar is nice and smooth already without going to layer(s) of sealer.

So, no you don't have to sand to bare wood. On occasions you just could sand top layer smooth. No need to strip whole car off all paint too, when just repainting fender or so.......body fender....not guitar manufacturing company. :D

And yes, this answer could have been found if done search: "bare wood"

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.ph...topic=11181&hl=

You can find the answer to your question with a search faster than if you wait for anybody to answer it... and the question that you made would hadn't get an answer from the most experienced of us, because it's a basic one that

I'm Sure This Has Been Asked A Million Times

I can guarantee you that an attitude like that will kill a board quicker than anything else...I should know...I've modded a couple myself and seen it happen.

Whatever dude! If you have modded a few boards yourself, you know how frustrating it gets to have people lioke you come with this childish attitude!

And I don't think that this will kill this board, since so far you are the 1st one that have been told about the search and had your thread closed and have come with this kinda attitude, like crafty, AlGee and much others, they were told about something they were doing wrong, learned about it and are here working on their guitars just fine!

I personally have been in bands just about my entire life, I currently own 6 guitars and 9 bass guitars, am in the middle of building a home studio in the back room of my house

Who cares, this won't get you any respect, especialy for the name you choose, we are trying to make this forum clean, since a lot of us have kids in the teens and like when they sit here and read the topics with us, so they will get interested in building guitars one day. So even though they are OK with your name, I'm not,

Why am I telling you this?...because you DID act like an asshole...and even though I'm a little unsure of taking an old finish all the way down to the wood on a freaking Tele that I'm trying to redo...someone like me could potentially bring at least a little bit of knowledge in other areas to a place like this.

Right now you are the one acting like that ! And if you have anything to bring to the board, feel free to do, as long as you change your attitude!

All in All, you were wrong on starting this thread! Keven was right on closing your other one, since he did posted links were you could get the information,and who cares if you need to appologize, 1st impression is always the lasting one! so I guess that you browned yourself pretty good!

amen marzo, an interesting quote i picked up somewhere is, "you must learn from other's mistakes, because you dont live long enuf to make them all", it has some merit, but if u make a mistake take it on board u gotta think "well im obviously doing somthing wrong, now what is it?"

this morning i was goin a little too fast around a corner on a dirt road near my house, i lost control of the car, over corrected and ended up sideways across the road, after that i thought well i was goin to fast for the road, the car and my skill level, so now im going to not speed. i learned from the mistake, it seems the only way for people to change themselves is to experience extreme fear, cos i nearly packed me dacks

thats my input and anecdote for the moment

luke

:D:D