New Bloodwood Top And Back Build Shape...

It too will be a chambered body guitar using this spectacular bloodwood for the top and back over a chambered Cuban Mahogany core...

I am designing this one around the grain of that spectacular (and a biotch to work with) bloodwood. Is this shape something any of you guys could covet and if not, why not. Here are the pics of a rough cutout overlay on the wood. No finish on it at all. Not even wetted down...

Bloodwoodshapebacksmall.jpg

Bloodwoodshapefrontsmall.jpg

This one would have to net a premium due to the added difficulty of working with this wood and the fact that it is a special build. not too much of a premium though... Boggs

was wondering were you have been? 

Bloodwood is a tough tough wood.

Mostly doing repairs on our new (to us) home which was in much greater dis-repair than we anticipated. Thanks for thinking of me though. :D Boggs

i love bloodwood. and i would definitly love to see metal matt do something creative with bloodwood haha. remember to have protection (not those paper masks pieces of crap) because the sawdust is toxic when breathed in.

-Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

Symmetrical or asymmetrical design... Which do you prefer and why? I would also like to change the title to show this addition. Any suggestions as to how to do this? I do not want to offend the mods or anyone else by creating a new thread...

FRONT

One

Bloodwoodshapefront2S.jpg

Two

Bloodwoodshapefrontsmall.jpg

BACK

One

Bloodwoodshapeback2S.jpg

Two

Bloodwoodshapebacksmall.jpg

What would you prefer to see different? Lower bouts and offset waistlines will probably stay. It's the upper bout lines that I am struggling with. I do want some volume there for chambering. This is for a chambered electric. Offset waistlines are for player comfort sitting or standing. Boggs

IMHO one looks way better than two.  I think the upper bout looks kinda crappy on two.

I do really appreciate your honest reply...

I may need to try a 3rd revision based on comments from here and elsewhere. The problem with the symmetrical one is that balance on the strap would lean more towards a neck-heavy condition. I hope to gain an understanding of the visual appeal of some guitars which are asymmetrical, which are most single cutaways. One thing I will do everything in my power (and your advise) is to not compromise function while trying to make something visually appealing. I also do not want to make another Fender or Gibson copy. That is not easy to do as it seems that is all anyone ever *expects* to see in a guitar.

My CamelBack is a guitar I designed strictly ergonimically for comfort, playability, balance, tone, and function. I have found on almost every occasion that folks who were initially put off by the photographs actually liked it in person in their hands... They were expecting to not like it. It is a case of a guitar that doesn't photograph well, but looks far more attractive in real life. All also express comfort and playability as key first impressions. The design is a technical home run. It is also a difficult sell...