My Concept For A Bridge And Nut Configuration

The project is a set neck Hondo II Lawsuit Les Paul Custom. I play with a lot of bends and vibrato. Klusons keep it in tune pretty well short term, but after extended vigorous play it goes out. I'm considering using one of the Tune-o-Matic style bridges with fine tuners. It occured to me that, if I were to install a Floyd Rose style locking nut as part of that system, that the thing would never go out of tune period. Anybody tried this?

The problem your having is because the nut is binding the string when you bend them, they are snagging in the slot a bit and the string then doesn't go back to it's original place in the slot, thus it won't be in tune. I've had all kinds of tuning problems before, and mostly a new slotted nut that's made correctly will solve all your tuning problems, but there is something you can do that should help no matter what.

Wiping a vasoline and powder graphite mixture into the slots with a Q-tip will make your guitar stay in tune all night long and sometimes weeks without having to tune again. I've used that method with great success and hope you find it useful also.. Hope this helps..

I'm curious as to whether or not the the tone would lose warmth by replacing the bone nut with metal. Also wondering if it will stay in tune like I think while looking smooth in gold to make it worth the project. I know that's subjective. Clearly the value of a project is based on an equasion where V= what that guitar means to you. My one year old daughter points to it and says,"That's Daddy's favorite Les Paul." Ibanez Super 70's make it scream with 10's on. It is.

Yep.. can even just take an exacto and scrape dust off the tip of a pencil right into your slots. I had a hamer 335 copy that i was determined that the tuners were bad.. The tech where I took it told me to do the pencil graphite and i never had a lick of trouble. I saw someone else on here mention chapstick.. the wax sticks around for a while and you can just keep that in your case and use it everytime you change strings.

I thought you guys might dig on this pic:

http://www.floydrose.com/images/bridges/Fl...irst-Bridge.jpg

It's the first Floyd double-locking setup. Well, sorta.....LOL

In regards to the "slippery nut" issue, there's some good advice here: graphite (that's what pencil lead is these days). Crushing up pencil lead into powder gives you a powdered lube that can be used all over the guitar. Auto shops sell tubes of powdered graphite as well. Just make sure it doesn't catch fire, and you don't eat it. Wash your hands thoroughly before eating anything after messing with graphite.

I thought you guys might dig on this pic:

http://www.floydrose.com/images/bridges/Fl...irst-Bridge.jpg

It's the first Floyd double-locking setup.  Well, sorta.....LOL

In regards to the "slippery nut" issue, there's some good advice here:  graphite (that's what pencil lead is these days).  Crushing up pencil lead into powder gives you a powdered lube that can be used all over the guitar.  Auto shops sell tubes of powdered graphite as well.  Just make sure it doesn't catch fire, and you don't eat it. Wash your hands thoroughly before eating anything after messing with graphite.

Ahh.. that's why my food taste so bad the other day.. lol