Bandsaw Won't Stop Shaking

bigdguitars

I have the rikon 18 inch bandsaw...

when I run the smaller blades the machine works fine, when I load on the 1 inch blade the machine shakes like crazy

here is a video of it:

http://www.bigdguitars.com/rikon/MVI_0425.AVI

what do I do? bolt it to the floor? the wheels spin so smoothly but the whole machine vibrates....

The machine is leveled off... can the blade make that much of a diff? the wheels spin smoothly still.

Thanks,

Derek

Have you carefully checked the blade for cracks? You may want to see if the tires are worn unevenly. You have probably allready checked the guides but I would double check them anyway.

Peace, Rich

P.S. Just watched your vid. I would even check the main arm of the saw for a crack or loose nut. It may become a more appearant problem when you have higher tension on a larger blade.

First check your blade. I braze up my own and about every fifth one I have to redo 'cause my machine get the shimmies.

I would definitely bolt the sucker down. I like to bolt down all machinery. Check and make sure that you don't have any sawdust under your tires. A small chip can cause real problems with the bigger blades.

Just curious what are you cutting that you need a 1 inch blade? You can resaw with a smaller blade than that, if it's sharp.

I have some maple billets that I am getting into and the 1 inch blade is just because I can fit it. The saw is brand new, and I have a good dust collection system hooked up.

I will bolt the machine to the floor, and inspect the machine for any problems.

thanks,

Derek

That is a sweet saw.. Woodcraft had them on a great sale in feb. Sounds like the blade could be an issue.. you never know there might be a thicker spot in it, or the weld might nto be just right.. Also caked up sawdust in the wheels can be an issue..

I love it.. I have the 1 inch blade because I can! If I had that saw it'd have a 1 inch blade on it too man.. it's a resawing machine.. We are actually looking to get that Rikon at some point. We have 2 other bandsaws for different purposes. The guys I work with are into turning and they want the big one to cut large turning blocks.. and I want it to cut my own tops.