Emg 81 In An Ibanez Sz

infiniti

Hello peeps,

I just recently bought an Ibanez SZ and love it to bits. Buuuuuuuuuut, when i got to rehearsal, the bridge 'bucker did nothing but scream distorted feedback at me (yes yes yes, i know a 5150 at half gain is very disorted.....). I took the guitar back to the vendor, and got one which was a little less noisy, but still a bit poo pickup wise. I spoke to Hadsock and they advise that it's a common thing with the SZ pickups, and that the newer Ibanez/Duncan pickups were slightly better that are in the latest SZ models.

I though arse to farting around further, so decided to modify the guitar to my spec. I usually use S/D JB pickups, but got an EMG 81 dirt cheap.

Now on to the real question........ Is it a pain to wire this myself (i'm ok with an iron!) and can the tone pot that is with the 81 (25k instead of the standard 250-500k am i correct????) control the neck passive pickup.

HELP!!!!!!!!

PS, did anyone elde buy/try an SZ and think th pickups sucked?!?! Love the guitar, but elecronics are poo poo poo... :D

No, you can't just use the 25k pot from the EMG on the other passive pickup. You must either purchase the EMG PA-2 preamp to use the EMG-81 with a passive pickup or just buy another EMG active pickup for the neck position. I would consider seeing about trading in the 81 for a JB since it may be a little easier for you.

No, you can't just use the 25k pot from the EMG on the other passive pickup. You must either purchase the EMG PA-2 preamp to use the EMG-81 with a passive pickup or just buy another EMG active pickup for the neck position. I would consider seeing about trading in the 81 for a JB since it may be a little easier for you.

I agree with crafty. I installed quite a few EMG's back in the 80's when many guys wanted THAT tone. I never cared for them as they sound "fake" to me.

Very hard to beat a Seymour Duncan JB for your application. OF course there are other Duncans that are hotter if that is what you are after.