Clean Sound Pickups...

Pr3Va1L

ok so i want to change my guitar's pickups...

its setup is: H/S/S

controls are:

-3 on/off switches

-one 3 way switch (not sure what exactly it does)

-2 tones and 1 vol

now, i'd like to know what pickups would be good and pretty cheap to get... i want the very best possible clean sound and maybe a "metal" bridge humbucker.

i'm also interested in a coil tap for the hum... Do i need a lot of complicated wireing and/or a special humbucker?

what are my options?

thank you very much

Edited by Pr3Va1L

I don't have enough experience to answer your tonal questions, but as for the coil tap, all you need is a humbucker with a four-conductor lead. It's almost standard, but some pups don't have it. It's pretty easy to wire; basically, at one end of the pup you have voltage and at one end you have ground. To coil split it, you ground the middle. One coil goes ground at both ends and therefore has no current. The other coil goes from voltage to ground, and that's the active coil.

:D Hi,

For the two singles, I'd contact Pete Biltoft at Vintage Vibe Guitars and describe the wood, etc. of the guitar. He builds a very nice sp-90 that has most of the "guts" of a P90 in a strat sinble coil size. He custom winds tham for you and doesn't charge an arm and a leg. Also, you might want to check out some of the Rio Grande models. They are very good. As for the humbucker, if you're looking for super hot, try a Gibson 500t or an Anderson HN3 or HN3+. The aftermarket Gibsons and all of the Andersons, to my knowledge, have 4-conductor wire. Of course, you could always go the old SD way, but I find that some of these other options have tremendous tone and character.

Best,Dave

ok so i want to change my guitar's pickups...

its setup is: H/S/S

controls are:

-3 on/off switches

-one 3 way switch (not sure what exactly it does)

-2 tones and 1 vol

now, i'd like to know what pickups would be good and pretty cheap to get... i want the very best possible clean sound and maybe a "metal" bridge humbucker.

i'm also interested in a coil tap for the hum... Do i need a lot of complicated wireing and/or a special humbucker?

what are my options?

thank you very much

• 1 month later...

I have very little experience with electric guitars but I was looking to change pickups in a Yamah SE 203 that I just bought off E-bay. I found pickups made by Evans. I saw that their endorsers are Colin James and Randy Bachman. If you have any Colin James CDs

you will hear that that his tone is very clean. Thay aren't cheap. There are sound bytes on the web page so you can hear what they sound like.

http://www.synapticsystems.com/studios/evans/evans.htm