Fretboard Inlay Designs

Inlay is definitely difficult to master. I haven't seen any comprehensive inlay tutorials online that I remember. You might try reading "The Art of Inlay" my Larry Robinson. Basically, you cut your design out of pearl (or whatever medium you're working), tack it loosely to the suface to be inlayed with a tiny drop of glue, scribe around the piece, remove the piece, rout to the scribed line, then glue the piece in.

another book is William Laskin's he's from Toronto and his guitars are very beautiful. He charges about 4000-5000 for one, handmade by him in his basement, and a lot of people tell me they're worth it. I don't know if he talks about how to inlay in this book for I have not read it, but it's definitly one to look at.

-Jamie

I might add when inlaying, when you put the peice of MOP or whatever, put making tape on the fret board, then put the MOP peice on top with a bit of CA and scribe round it, when you lift it up you will have your shape in the remaining masking tape. I cant remember where i saw this mothod, i sure it was in here somware.