Help On Finishing Acrylic Hand Paint Job

ender

my strat is being painted in a psychedelic fashion by an incredible artist right now. he's using acrylic paint. what i need to know is what do i use to seal and protect it and how to i apply, sand between coats, how many coats, etc. i was thinking polyurethane, but i may be wrong. if i am just being a redundant noob, then please direct me to where i can find the answers i'm looking for. thanks.

gish2-sml.jpg

this is the look i'm going for.

Find an Acrylic compatible clear coat. Deft will work, I have used it over freehand art before. I would spray at least 5 coats. but thats just me... I sprayed 9 coats on the last strat body i did and didnt have to sand between coats....but I think i got lucky. Good Luck and post pics of your progress

• 2 weeks later...

having used any form of enamel, you will most likely HAVE to use a water based clear (not just acrylic, acrylic does not always mean water based) Any solvent based clear will probably attack the enamel you used. This means no laquer, no poly's, nothing like that. Get him to do a couple scraps with the paint he's using and do some test strips first, sometimes you get lucky, but enamel has no place in artwork that must be clear coated.

oh man that sucks! we used water based enamel because the art teacher told us to under recommendatios that it was durable. what would an ordinary clearcoat like poly do to this art? and also, can you be more specific with water based clear coats? i dont really know what to do. What excactly should i buy?

Edited by ender