Floyd W/ Piezo

Hi to all,

I have found this website recently and thinking since that to build my own project guitar. As I came up with the "wish list", I found I would have liked, amongst other features:

-piezo acoustic sounds

-Floyd type Bridge

My problem is: I have done some research on the net and found lots of interesting vintage-type or fulcrum-type trems with piezo, but no Floyd Rose-type one. Except one: The Double Edge by Ibanez, which is also mentioned in one rewiring tutorial. Is it possible to buy it as a separate part from Ibanez or is it impossible (like the Jem necks)? And are there other ones which would meet this criteria? Or perhaps other possibilities to achieve this combination?

Thank you in advance for helping,

greetings from Berlin :D

Another option is to pick up a used/pre-owned Double Edge-equipped guitar and transplant the DE system from it.

If you do, BE VERY CAREFUL!!! There are very small, solid wires under the back edge of the trem that can be broken very easily.

I've seen some "blow out prices" on RG-620x guitars. You could then sell off the other parts (neck, body) to help pay for the rest of the project. :-)

If you need any Double Edge help, feel free to email me- kevan@jemfest.com.

you can't buy a double edge, but there  is supposed to be a piezo system coming out from a well known company, not sure if I can drop the name yet.  I'll be talking to them this week though so I'll find out some more info if I can.

That would be very kind!

I thought Behringer did only amps and recording stuff?

Oh and Kevan, though I am absolutely determined to build a guitar all by myself, it is supposed to be a very long-term project... Due to lack of experience in woodworking, inlaying, electronics and of money...

To buy an RG only to get its tremolo seems a bit awkward to me but is a great idea, perhaps that would be the way to go.

Well let me know. Very happy to have found you, great site & great work guys. :D

I thought Behringer did only amps and recording stuff?

they do. Hees joking. Begringer recently releaced pedals that look just like the BOSS pedals and BOSS is sueing behringer...

Ah allright! I forgot it was Behringer and didn't know Boss sued them. I have seen them, though, and they sure do look very alike...

To buy an RG only to get its tremolo seems a bit awkward to me but is a great idea, perhaps that would be the way to go.

It could go teribly wrong and you might fall in love with that guitar, im realy diggin the feel of a cheap-o strat, well i did befor i took it apart. sounds like a cool idea you got there, hope it works for you.

you can also buy an RG1820XGK. it's a double edge pro with piezo, and wizard neck. I personally thought it sucked through an amp. A guitar tech told me the best way to run this guitar is have one cable from the piezo into a PA and the other from the pickups into your amp.

-Jamie

ZZounds.com has the 1620x for 579 i believe.. that's below cost as it lists for 1299.

Yeah, that is quite cheap (quite because I want just the trem, eh!) - especially if one considers the weak dollar. Unfortunately, I prob won't have enough money to buy it before the last one is sold. ****. Or perhaps not - if Graphtech build one, I would definitely go that way - the GHOST system seem awesome. Hope it will be available in gold finish...

You know.. I wonder if with a little ingenuity.. if you couldn't purchase a bridge plate transducer type of pickup and adhere it to the sustain block on the trem. Might have to route some.. or even a button transducer to pick up the vibrations.. I'm not a huge fan of piezo sounds anyway.. i dumped my piezo in my acoustic and went for the BPT style.. much more realistic. i don't know. might be an interesting experiement. A button transducer is cheap. Might have to pre-amp it as the vibration through that much steel will be kind of weak.

QUOTE(sepultura999 @ Mar 24 2005, 06:22 PM)

you can also buy an RG1820XGK.

A little bit too expensive...

yeah i know. In Toronto here they go for 1200 cdn. However I saw one on ebay about a month or two ago that sold for 400-500 usd, and the guy replaced the pickups with dimarzios. I was tempted to buying it and just trading it here locally for something (ya never know when someone might not like that gibson anymore!) but i didn't lol.

well ya. any piezo will sound really crappy through an electric amp. There just not made for it. But with the right EQ and a pa or an acoustic amp it can auccually sound prety darn good.

Yeah totally. If I ever get the piezo system set up in my electric or any kind whatsoever, I'd definitly wanna run the piezo into a PA or acoustic amp. However though, some cheap electric/acoustics i've tried have better sounding piezos then this ibanez i've tried. Maybe cause it's a solid body and it somehow limits it? It wasn't the amp i'll tell you that, cause I always try guitars through a fender deville 4x10 (since i own one) unless i'm trying new amps of course.

I do know that piezos sound totally awesome with distortion. I was trying the line 6 uber metal with the ibanez. I wonder how it would sound through a PA or acoustic amp. Any thoughts on that? (don't meant to hijack the thread if i did)

-Jamie :D