Electrolytic Caps Will Blow Up

unclej

and when they do they will scare hell out of you, burn holes in you're indoor/outdoor carpet that you've covered your work bench with, burn a hole in your favorite hawaiian shirt and a small one on your right arm, blow oily fuzzy junk all over your storage bins, the screen of your oscilloscope and your multi-meter and just generally make you really want a whiskey and a cigar...just thought you'd like to know.

by the way i had just replaced all five of the big caps on a bassman 10 and assuming that i oriented the pos/neg right, and i'm positive that i did, what will normallly make one blow like that?

oh yeah, and do i get any sort of merrit badge for this? :D

ok, forget that part where i said that i was positive that i'd wired them right..not..i thought the arrow pointed positive..but yeah, impressive is a good description. :D

*POP*

That takes me back to vo-tech where we had a little "trophy" sign that you would mount over your work bench and attach whatever was left of the component you blew up to it. Kind of embarrasing, although you could hide most resistor or diode meltdowns, everybody could hear it when you blew an electrolytic cap.

Blow one of them at 500 volts DC with the BOLT-ON terminals pointing up! There are still holes in the ceiling insulation at our old shop from this. They were not over-voltaged or reversed, they were just bad. Brand new ones can do this without any reason so always be prepared. AND hold your nose!

*POP*

That takes me back to vo-tech where we had a little "trophy" sign that you would mount over your work bench and attach whatever was left of the component you blew up to it. 

when i finally found the plastic outer covering i pinned it to the wall over my work bench with a little note.."arrow points negative".

by the way lk, counterintuitive is one of the better words i've heard lately.

Wow finally you guys are talking about something I can relate to :D I blew a cap making a simple constant intensity light circut for a model train a few years back. Very loud, very suprising.....I had of course put it in backward.

George

Whiskey and a cigar , now thats what im talking about. Didnt happen to get pictures did you ? 

didn't think about pictures but i did go out and have a couple of whiskies and i'm sitting at home now having a cigar..all in all..a good day.

It's the damn arrow. It points the wrong way in a DC circuit.

I seem to remember in college a few friends had some problems with the motherboards in their computers. Seems there was some Asian industrial espionage going on between a shady component manufacturer and a legit supplier of electrolytics. Somehow the spy got the recipe wrong and within months the caps would either leak or explode, destroying the motherboard.

I have a few old can caps lying around in the parts box. Maybe I should set off some nerd fireworks sometime around Cinco De Mayo...

Maybe I should set off some nerd fireworks sometime around Cinco De Mayo...

lol..nerd fireworks..i like it. :D

after i read this thread last night i went to my worktable and found an old cannibalized board with a bunch of really big 10 and 25v electrolytics, so i started ripping them off and hooking them up at 15vdc, except backwards. FUN! i wish i had a power supply that i could use to throw something massive at them, as im sure it would be more entertaining. but its fun nonetheless.

doesn't take much to make you boys happy does it? :D

Gee, I guess I can't join this club... I haven't blown up any caps yet!

it's not hard to do at all paul..even i managed it without a lot of trouble.