Things I Don't Understand

I have top-down drawing of my guitar done. I'm starting on the side but there are some things im trying to figure out.

I've seen this thread, and understand it, but I have some questions that it doesn't seem to directly address. http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=14036

1. How do I determine the string height compared to a nut and frets? How tall should the nut be?

2. How tall is a TOM? I plan on putting in Nashville TOM that matches the 12" radius fretboard I plan on ordering aswell.

Like I said, I understand the basic idea of the diagram, but how do I figure out these important heights so that I can figure out the angle in the end.

1. How do I determine the string height compared to a nut and frets? How tall should the nut be?

2. How tall is a TOM? I plan on putting in Nashville TOM that matches the 12" radius fretboard I plan on ordering aswell.

There are no set numbers for the measurements you are asking about. Its more a matter of the player's comfort and the range of adjustment that your bridge has. The nut has to clear the strings, if you like high action playing, then you use a higher nut. I usually assess the TOM bridge height with the adjustment screws set around mid way. This gives me full range of adjustment either way for dialing in the action I prefer.

A full scale drawing of a side view will help you understand things better. But you'd best wait until you get your bridge ordered before making a neck angle. Then you can properly measure the height of string contact off the body. You also have to figure out how much fretboard height will be from that same point of reference (the body), then add fret height (use listed specs from where you buy your fretwire). When you draw it all out you will see how the bridge height is higher than the last fret height.

Here is part of a drawing I made a few years ago of my first build. It is a side view with a TOM (Schaller roller bridge) and 2.9 degree neck angle.

drawing15iz.jpg

Sorry about the lack of close up detail. The drawing was made with ACAD 2005 and I had to double the scale before converting to a jpg. But you can see where the height difference between the highest part of the fretboard (where your neck angle will begin) and the bridge gives you an angle (your neck angle) in relation to the plane of the body (horizontal). So you assume that the strings run parallel with the fretboard, then draw in your fretboard accounting for fret height (depends on what size you buy) and playing action (what you prefer in nut height).

Edited by Southpa