Masking For Clearcoat... How Would I Do This?

Hey everyone,

I'm back on the forum again after being away for a long time, and I'm almost ready to start my first full project!

It's starting with an alder Strat body. I've called a local luthier (because I know very little on the subject) and he said he would help me draw up a template to rout it for a Floyd Rose. Then I have to go about routing it on my own, and I might do the monkey handle too, 'cause it looks cool.

Anyway, my friend's dad paints cars, and he just painted my friend's bass body, which looks really cool. The problem is that the bass had a flat-mount bridge and cavities that were already too large, so it wasn't really masked at all. How/where would I go about masking my tremolo cavity? Should I just rout it slightly large?

The problem with not spraying clear inside the cavity is that the crackled finish will just flake off.

Actually! That brings me to another question about the crackled finish. Where can I get a water-based but still very opaque black paint that I can use for the top coat?

Thanks if you can help out! I'll post pics as I get stuff done, cause this is going to look amazing if it goes as i planned it- black gotoh Floyd Rose bridge, black paint crackled over green on the bottom, EMG 81 in the bridge position and no other pickups, scalloped maple fretboard, and a headstock painted to match the finish. itll be like a shred machine :D

Peace! and thanks in advance if anyone can help out!

I dont' understand what you're saying about the cavities, you said they were already to big? I'm guessing you mean to small. Just put a couple light coats in the cavities, do one or two coats, let it cure, mask it, then finish the clear on the rest.

As for a water based black paint that is opaque, Createx will work.

How would I go about masking my tremolo cavity?  Should I just rout it slightly large?

The problem with not spraying clear inside the cavity is that the crackled finish will just flake off.

How thick are you expecting your finish to be, if you think you need to route your trem cavity larger to still fit the trem?

And why cannot you spray clear inside the cavity?

:D

How would I go about masking my tremolo cavity?  Should I just rout it slightly large?

How thick are you expecting your finish to be, if you think you need to route your trem cavity larger to still fit the trem?

And why cannot you spray clear inside the cavity?

:D

isnt clearcoat fairly thick? i've never done this before :D are you saying it wouldn't cause a problem at all?

It depends on the type of clear you use and how many coats you apply.

Nitro laquer after shrinking is probably only .001" thick per coat, 2 Part Poly Urethane is .005" to .007" thick per coat, 1/32" = .03125", if your route is so tight it can't accept a few coats of clear, I'd open it up anyway simply to have a little room for error in mounting all the parts.