New Project

Awesome! That's exactly the kind of carve I was thinking of.

I'll have to see if the local Lee Valley or Home Depot carries 120-grit flap discs.

Greg

Yep, better.  I'd smooth out the upper horn a bit more.  The flapper could be dangerous there, though...

upper horn is totally smoothed out now.. just the little ridge as the contours converge.. i'll post more pics tonight.. it's 99% done though..

i'm kicking it into high gear now.. The sanding disk works great.. you just have to clamp the body down (i clamped mine on the top of a bar stool so i could walk all the way around it..) and if you can get at just the right angle you actually have a lot of control with the angle grinder. I wish I had tried that a month ago..

• 2 weeks later...

Bought a set of scrapers and it's really starting to come together now.. I'm slowly putting a PRS style "dip" all along the edge, enhancing the recurve. Behind is the 3 ply neck lam. Hope to get it cut out this weekend.

Having so much fun carving.. at some point I have to stop carving and build the damn thing!! Man.. those scrapers are just the ticket though. I was having some problem with the scrapers pulling the softer wood from the grain, leaving unwanted bumps, but following some advice in the tools forum, i think I got that licked. At least 90% of it. The inner part to the left i'll have to sand some. The ash is kinda freaky, the dark spots and light spots make the topography look off but it's pretty symmetrical finally.

ash10.jpg