Bigsby Again

I have an ESP EC100QM and I'd like to spice it up with a lil' bigsby vibe.

Q1: It's a flat-top LP. The B5 seems to suit it the best, although I like the looks of the bigger bigsbys more. Would it be possible to mount the B3 or B7 on a flat-top?

Q2: Do I really need the swinging bridge or would the usual one do the job?

Rock on,

------------------

Jimbo

The B7 is pretty long, I can't believe that will fit...I'll have access to a Les Paul on thursday, and I happen to have a B70 here that I haven't gotten around to putting on, I can check it for fit.

But I have to say I'm skeptical. I agree though that the B7 style would look better with an LP shape. Maybe you can get away with the B3 though, if it's a lot shorter than the B7.

As for the bridge, you don't need a rocker. I put a roller bridge on one guitar (the one that will be getting the B70). On my tele, I'm just using the regular saddles with the B5, so far no string breakage issues. Although I'll probably want to change the saddles for Graph Tech stuff.

Locking tuners definitely help though--if only when it comes time to string the thing up. Stringing a Bigsby without locking tuners is real hell.

Are the usual tuners really that bad with a bigsby?

----------

Jimbo

Well, with a Bigsby, you have to make sure the ball end of the string stays onto the little peg they give you, while you're also trying to hold the string in place so you can wind the tuning peg...takes three hands and it's a real pain, but it's doable.

With locking tuners, you just pull the string pretty tight (which keeps it on the peg), turn the tuner a bit (which locks the string down) and you're set.

And with a trem, since you're loosening/tightening things, you risk resetting the wraps you need for normal tuners, which as far as I'm concerned is what knocks things out of tune. With locking tuners there are no wraps.

I also find a change in string tension with locking tuners (some people say I'm nuts about that one).

idch, I would never say you were nuts but where did you see a difference in string tension? You may be about to convince me I ain't as crazy as I think. Also, been out of the loop as far as Bixbies are concerned since my 66 Gretsch but have they made any improvments to make them more stable, stay in tune or "bend" strings more evenly? Not to say that the old ones were horrible but they were horrible.

idch, I would never say you were nuts but where did you see a difference in string tension? You may be about to convince me I ain't as crazy as I think. Also, been out of the loop as far as Bixbies are concerned since my 66 Gretsch but have they made any improvments to make them more stable, stay in tune or "bend" strings more evenly? Not to say that the old ones were horrible but they were horrible.

I don't think Bigsby ever changed its design...still the same old gorgeous hunk o' metal.

As for tuning issues, I put one on my tele...put graph tech string trees and locking tuners on there. Lubed up the nut too. And glory be, no tuning problems at all.

Can't live without my vibrato...I'm getting used to the Fender trem, but it's not the same thing...and not nearly as good looking.

And I swear there's a difference in string tension with locking tuners. To me it makes sense--with normal tuners, the strings are wrapped several times around there. So there are gaps--maybe really small, but gaps none the less. But with locking tuners, you don't wrap at all--it's just straight string. And they definitely help me stay in tune.

idch, you and I are going to catch HELL for this but that is what I see. My nephew says it is because I always bring the string up from lower tension when I tune. I never lower a string and leave it. With little or no nut-friction, this shouldn't make any difference but, like you, I swear it does. My personal guitars all have non-lockers but I have built some with and the nut-to-peg tension always seems higher to me. Is it at all possible that we BOTH are crazy? I can only speak for myself. :D

Are the usual tuners really that bad with a bigsby?

----------

Jimbo

Well, with a Bigsby, you have to make sure the ball end of the string stays onto the little peg they give you, while you're also trying to hold the string in place so you can wind the tuning peg...takes three hands and it's a real pain, but it's doable.

With locking tuners, you just pull the string pretty tight (which keeps it on the peg), turn the tuner a bit (which locks the string down) and you're set.

Place a piece of bath foam under the Bigby once you have fitted the string onto the pin, holds it in place and makes stringing a Bigsby a breeze.

Place a piece of bath foam under the Bigby once you have fitted the string onto the pin, holds it in place and makes stringing a Bigsby a breeze.

Heh heh, so now you need four hands...I wonder: how come Bigsby doesn't include a little rubber piece that does this? Would make sense....

Jim: I don't think those really are licensed Bigsbys--Licensed Bigsbys are stamped with the Bigsby name and they're made in Korea I think and they're made by machine. 'Real' Bigsbys are made by hand. I've read some opinions that hold that the licensed Bigsby are more consistent quality, which makes sense since it's a machine doing the work.

You can find these knockoff Bigsbys here and there (in ebay, look for 'horseshoe style' and other witty workaround words). I have one for my tele and it works just great--there's really not much that can go wrong with this style, unlike a Fender trem type.

I know they aren't the real bigsbys. I don't care if it's a knockoff or not. I just want my guitar to look cool. :D (and stay in tune as well)

Anyone have a spare B50 or some other B5-style golden trem?

---------

Jimbo

No, the point is, this site is selling these as Licensed Bigsbys --they're not. So I wouldn't trust this site. Besides you can get a real licensed Bigsby (chrome) for around $66 ...looks very cool. with the name on it (like I said, I have a B5 clone too, cost me 55 with shipping...mistake, should have bought the real thing)

Anyway, here are all the measurements you need --just scroll to the bottom of the auction, he has photos with the measurements. Like I said, the top bar on the Bigsby goes to the sames line as a TOM tailpiece is.

Good news. I just compared my 24-fret ESP LP to a Gibson LP. I discovered that I have about a half an inch of more room on the "butt" of the guitar. Now, I'm thinking that a B7 would be real cool. But...

The tension bar of the B7 seems to be really really low, so I think it'll start scratching the edge of the bridge. Ant that's bad. Maybe it was designed for archtops, so the arch compensates for the lowness. Or maybe I need a new bridge... Still, the angle is too steep...

EDIT: ok, I forgot to ask i the B3 would be good for flattop? Or is the tension bar requiered for such an instrument?

-------------

Jimbo

Edited by JimRayden

The tension bar of the B7 seems to be really really low, so I think it'll start scratching the edge of the bridge.

A lot of people with TOMs screw the tailpiece all the way down (part of that sustain voodoo), which puts it in exactly the same place as the tension bar. So I don't think that's an issue.

The tension bar on the B7 is the same as on the B5 anyway.

What I'd do is either replace the TOM with a roller bridge (that's what I've done on my Samick), or replace the TOM's saddles with Graph Tech string savers (what I do on my other guitars)--they're more slippery and less prone to string breaking.

There IS another option, but it doesn't give you the Bigsby look --Les Paul Trem

Yes, I've seen that LP Ugly Trem. If I wanted to have a guitar with a bare tremolo, I'd have bought a Strat. Bigsby has the looks. I want that looks. I have a sweet-looking dark red quilted maple guitar, but I don't like the black hardware on it too much. I'll be converting the hardware to gold and soon change the pickups.

The guitar is by the way ESP EC100QM. I got a kind-of-rare mahogany version of it. So I thought to upgrade the thing and keep it as my fav. :D

---------

Jimbo

Yeah, there's nothing out there cooler than a bigsby. In fact, the next guitar I'm looking at building will be a Crestwood shape with Strat electronics and a Bigsby tailpiece...

I kind of like the black hardware--and you can get a black Bigsby (the B700 or B500) for it.

I personally hate gold hardware, but that's my taste...I like chrome...besides by the time you change all the hardware, you'll have spent twice what that guitar cost! Why not just find the guitar that meets your specs and keep this one as is? I know, I know...I'm constantly modifying my guitars, who am I to speak?

The black hardware makes it look all metal and stuff. It needs more glam.

And I love to be watched at on the stage. Who doesn't. My guitar is a looker now, I've had some compliments. I can't complain, but to draw all the eyes on me, I'll be loading the guitar with golden stuff all over. :D And they don't sell a guitar that looks like I want it to.

My ego needs more compliments, so the bigsby will be feeding it. :D

-------------

Jimbo

Naah, I like to be hairy as hell and rock on stage and go nuts. Well, I can sing too and I'm singing the back vocals on a few songs. But I need the bigsby to get the attention. If that won't help, I'll start wearing a chicken suit to get some eyes at me. Rock n' roll is all about ego! And music. :D

----------

Jimbo