Help! I Put One Trem Stud In Upside-down!

Go to a woodworking store and get one of those rare earth magnets with 20 lbs of force :D

Here's what I would try.. Find a nail with a head that will go through the hole in the stud.. put it all the way down in. Get a rubber band and feed as much of it into the hole behind the nail as you can and then pull up.. The nail should catch the rubber keeping it from marring the threads. With some pliers you should be able to work it out.

Go to a woodworking store and get one of those rare earth magnets with 20 lbs of force :D

Here's what I would try.. Find a nail with a head that will go through the hole in the stud.. put it all the way down in.  Get a rubber band and feed as much of it into the hole behind the nail as you can and then pull up.. The nail should catch the rubber keeping it from marring the threads.  With some pliers you should be able to work it out.

I think you might have something there mled. I could get a nail in there and "hook" the head under the anchor. I have some clearance for that.

I feel like going home from work and trying it. I may actually really fake sick.

Thanks!

Dave

xlr8, no, I can't.  It appears the thread has a stop although it seems to go all the way through.  I think this is so when the stud is installed properly,  you can't lower the post too far and into the body wood.

Ok, I'd do it this way.

Carefully open the hole at the bottom of the stud with a suitable drill bit. Find a suitable bolt and make yourself a puller from some metal strap and a couple of scraps of hard wood.

SketchUpScreenSnapz002.jpg

Once you've extracted the stud you can peen of the bottom with a hammer to stop the bolt driving into the wood beneath and if necessary remove a small amount from the bottom of the bolt to ensure you can screw it down flat.

Good luck

(edited because the first drawing showed a threaded extractor hole when of course it just needs to be a hole - doh!)

It's fixed.

I took a countersink and chucked it up into my cordless. 2 or 3 turns on the inside lip of the stud and I was able to thread the post back into it. I taped up the post, sat on the body and pulled up. Little by little it came up and out.

I nicked the post a bit despite the tape but I can always replace that. The body suffered almost no damage. There was a tiny pull of the surface wood that was about 1/8" x 1/8" and paper thin. I grabbed a syringe, watered down some white glue and injected it under the pull. It's invisible now. The damage to the post might only be noticed by me but I'm going to order a new set anyway.

Thanks to all of you for helping me out.

Dave