Corrective Nuts And Zero Frets.

Let me clarify more for you then. Some companies I am sure don't care about quality or playibility, they just care about selling their guitars to people who are just learning how to play so it doesn't matter to them. Their fret slots could be wrong, and so could 100 other things be wrong, but for companies that do care about quality and playability and providing inexpensive guitars that play and sound better that take the time to do a proper set up would be able to save money. The selling price of the guitar is not the issue, its the quantity produced to the quality and playability of the guitar that will determine whether a zero fret is cost saving or not. If a company has their procedures and tolerances set so perfect that they can slap on a nut without any extra setup time then thats great for them. More than likely there will be a considerable amount of time spent slotting a nut properly. Its only relative to the type of company. Quality and cost are not always have to be related in the same way. Besides in order for a pre slotted nut to just get put on a guitar even if they are all the exact same size, other things will have to be perfect. Every fretboard would have to be the same exact size, at the same radius as the nut, every fret would have to be seated the exact same way every time, etc... If a company is taking the time to check all the measurments on these things for every guitar only to slap on a presized nut then they are wasting even more time and money. Do you see my point?

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely.

I've just always thought that the cheapie guitars DON'T care about those tight tolerances. As you say, everything else would have to be identical for a pre-made nut to work properly, which is why I've always found cheapie guitars to NOT work properly.

I think there's definitely a middle ground. Look at Godin's budget line. Well set-up and appointed, using Tusq nuts which SEEM to be individualized to the guitar, while maintaining a decent price point. They're not $200, but I imagine part of the extra cost goes to exactly what you're describing-- just that bit of extra time spent making sure that the nut (and other factors, obviously) are right for that guitar.

Like you say, the equation becomes very different when you're talking about a company that wants to at least make their guitars 'playable'.

I can't remember what the debate is anymore. :D:D

Greg

A compensated nut only works in the same capacity as a compensated bridge (on acoustics) when plucking open strings.  Once you fret a note the compensation feature of the nut does nothing.

Ummm, its when you fret a note that the compensated nut DOES have an effect..... thats the entire point of having one

:D

Are we back full circle again. Man, I can't help but chuckle. :D And agree, actually. A compensated nut corrects problems induced by fretting. Open strings can be perfectly in tune no matter WHERE the nut is, it's when you fret strings that things become tricky.

Holy moly... please don't let this thread get to page 12, because I'm the stubborn kind of git who will probably still be adding my damn comments.

Greg

Sorry, :D I was referring to where intonation comes into play ie. where it serves the same function as a compensated bridge (please read more thoroughly). Yes, I know it is supposed to minimize "sharpness" when fretting.

Edited by Southpa

Just change your settings greg so it shows more posts per page, that way you'll only be up to page four like me :D

You can DO THAT?

I didn't know.

<scrambles off to check settings>

Yes, you can!

Not sure that I like it, though... lot of scroll-wheel action if you're looking for a particular post. <chuckle>

Greg

It's obvious that Perry has a clear understanding of what a compensation nut can and can't do. It's more than a correction for open strings, which is what some people don't grasp. Greg makes valid points also, as far as production cost is concerned and as far as what goes into a standard nut vs. a zero nut. Who really can tell or prove that one is cheaper than the other without having worked for a major guitar company and have a complete understanding of cost vs. quality. To me a bone nut sounds the best for open strings, period. That's why I'd rather take the time to do a perfect nut job, because I know what sound I'll get after all the hard work it over, and it's worth it, but does big manufactures really care about this? Some do and some don't to be honest. One of the worst nut jobs I've ever seen has been on a PRS, it wasn't even contoured or anything and was ugly, but it does get the job done but you'd think that for the price tag of 2,900 it would have been better. As far as compensation nuts go, I think they are a great way to make the guitar more true across the whole fretboard. Anything that you could do to make a guitar better, I'm all for.