Optical Pickups - Not What You Think :)

MasterMinds

While I wouldn't use N/D headphones as a reference, it sounds like at the very least, you'll produce something that is pleasant sounding, regardless of how closely it reproduces it's benchmarks.

Good point considering there's a lot more factors such as magnet size and shape and how the magnetic field passes through the string(s) and the coil (s). Luckily, I was able to learn a considerable amount of information on magnetism in my electronics class and through Steven Kersting's Site in the past 2 years:

I just thought I'd put a couple things i've noticed about the optical pickups.

I built a 5 string bass with lightwaves last year.

One thing that really stands out is the low end. The low B sounds as defined and real as the A. Also You can really tell the difference in strings (Ni vs steel).

The Ni sound more midrangy, and not as tight. I prefer the sound I get with steel strings, its more crisp, hifi sounding. Anyway I've played it through almost every amp I could find, SVT, Bass pod, sansamp, Mesa 400+,Carvin,marshall.

It sounds every bit as good as a music man or a warwick and way more adjustable tonally. I like the tone and sustain better than any other bass I've played. You can really here the difference in the sustain. BTW My other bass has p and J Bartolinis on it with a bartolini 18v preamp. It sounds like a passive bass comparitively.

Unfortunately, If you like the sound of vintage passive basses you cannot get that sound. (i've tried)

I don't know what it'd sound like on a guitar.

I guess guitarists have a different list of requirements for they're tone. Maybe acoustic or classical?

I think putting them on a bass with a magnetic pickup would cancel out all the benifits of having them in the first place. alot of the highs and the character of the strings would be "pulled out" by the magnet, along with the sustain.

I've already started working on two more optical basses.

I plan on putting reinforcement rods in the neck so I can experiment with different string tensions and possibly piano wire.

I built a 5 string bass with lightwaves last year.
Excellent -it's nice to hear from experience rather than conjecture - do you have any sound clips?

You can really here the difference in the sustain. BTW My other bass has p and J Bartolinis on it with a bartolini 18v preamp. It sounds like a passive bass comparitively.
Any specific differences in tonalilty that stand out in your mind? Is the midrange deeply notched?

I think putting them on a bass with a magnetic pickup would cancel out all the benifits of having them in the first place. alot of the highs and the character of the strings would be "pulled out" by the magnet, along with the sustain.
I'm not sure I understand - I can pick the open A string on a MusicMan 5 string, go get lunch at Wendy's, and when I get back it's still ringing. How much sustain can you use? Are you saying that the high end doesn't decay as quickly? :D

What's the approximate retail cost of a lightwaves system (not including installation labor), if you don't mind saying? Is it comparable to a pair of Barts and a preamp?

I don't have any new sound clips at hand. but I do have a track off the cd my band just recorded. If your interested (It's deathmetal)

http://www.local81.com/bass/07 My Pain.wma

I'm no sound expert by any means. but when I say the sustain is better, I mean the character of the note stays not just the frequency. It sounds more powerful.

Don't mistake what I've said about bartolinis. They sound great. They just don't sound as hot or hi-fi as the lightwaves. Of course I have the gain turned up all the way on every string in the lightwaves motherboard.

Right now you have to buy them directly from the company in california.

last year I got they're 5 string bass kit with everything excluding the midi converter for $415 shipped next day.

I looked around the net for bartolini pups and they're about $130 for one pup and $150 for a active preamp with a mid sweep. Which is somewhat cheaper than the lightwaves. but with the lightwaves you don't have to buy a bridge either.

So it's pretty close.

They're Midi 13 pin kit is an extra $100 dollars. Not too bad.

I'm not saying they're the "end all" in pickups.

But they do a real respectable job in my opinion.