Cud's Explorer Project

Nice, but bolt on? You already made a neck, which is my forever excuse for making a set or neck thru, why not a nice set neck, the only difference will be to let the heel longer than a bolt on, and glue it in. I wish this will change your mind, 'cause that body deserves better.

I think the subtle differences in wood color looks great! Clear finish all the way man!

I want to use Curly Cherry as a top on the next guitar I start. Maybe by that time I'll have big enough cajones to build the neck, too! Hmm, maybe a Cherry neck... :D

As for GodinSD, I think I've heard of people converting their Fenders to a set-neck by drilling the screw holes wider and using dowels to make a stronger joint. Sounds like a stupid idea to me personally what they did though It wouldn't be too hard to make it look stock still. As for removing it for repairs, well, :D .

What about making a nice dovetail on it like an acoustic or something? Bolt-on's are the way to go for me personally, though.

Edited by Kyle Cavanaugh

its like u want it to look like a neck thru but cant be bothered doing it

I wouldnt say that. A neck through would probably be an easier way of doing things really. I just think that is the way he wants to build it. To each his own. I think it looks great. If his last project is any indication it's gonna turn out suberb.

The neck will be laminated birdseye and walnut.

Having built a bolt on, I think that a neck through would be easier because there's no neck pocket to cut and align.

I've done this one like this because I had the wood for it. I don't have the proper sized stock for a neck through.

The neck will be laminated birdseye and walnut.

Having built a bolt on, I think that a neck through would be easier because there's no neck pocket to cut and align.

I've done this one like this because I had the wood for it.  I don't have the proper sized stock for a neck through.

Just an idea... make it a setneck with a contoured heel, and make the neck a three piece with a laminated strip of cherry in the middle that continues the line from the body? I think that would look beautiful with one common strip to unite the neck and body.

Man is that going to look killer! Wood tones and black hardware look awesome.

I'm planning a Honey or Amber flame top Maple explorer for my second project, with the all black hardware and binding as well. I had this up my sleeve before I read yours, so please don't hunt me down and kill me for being a copy-cat.

• 6 months later...

Hey guys. I've done next to nothing on this for months other than to trim and sand the body profile. I've had so much to do lately in my home that I haven't been able to build anything.

However, I'm getting the wheels on this project turning again. I've had the body laying around all this time and the only thing I kept thinking was: "This is a huge and heavy body!".

I breifly considered making it into an ML or Star type body to reduce weight. The problem with that is the body still has a huge profile. So I was playing around with changing the profile within the parameters of the explorer body. I've come up with a few options but I like this one best. It will reduce the weight and make the body smaller.

What do you all think? The idea is to make a new template, trace the new outline on the existing body and cut and sand.

Thanks for looking.

Dave

new_explora2.JPG

Yeah Dave... go on!!!

After your finishing job I wanted to see another one... but I think you're going for a natural finish on that body  :D  Ok it looks great anyway.

Gian

Thanks gun! But what do you think of the new profile I've PaintBrushed on the template to the left? That's how I think I'm going to re-style the body.

Yeah, natural with black binding and black hardware. If not natural, transparent yellow or orange. Both dyes that will bring out the natural color of the Mahogany.

By the way gun, I'm first generation American. My parents and all of my ancestors are from Italy. Province of Frosinone. A small town called Settefratti.