Cud's Explorer Project

Thanks gun!  But what do you think of the new profile I've PaintBrushed on the template to the left?  That's how I think I'm going to re-style the body.

Yeah, natural with black binding and black hardware.  If not natural, transparent yellow or orange.  Both dyes that will bring out the natural color of the Mahogany.

By the way gun, I'm first generation American.  My parents and all of my ancestors are from Italy.  Province of Frosinone.  A small town called Settefratti.

Yeah I know that town, a small place near Frosinone. I'm not too far from.

Yeah go for the translucent color!!!! And I prefer original idea so I would go for your modded version. I would just leave the horn as it is on the original. I like it so, just my preference.

Gian

Com'on....I've been waiting on progress on this, and now you chicken out of the explorer shape!!! I know that once we get old the heavy guitars start to kick our back, but what you can do is to plane it down 1/4"-1/2" and chamber it, then put a maple or whatever you may like cap on it! PLus those other variations of the explorer are for sizzies!

Com'on....I've been waiting on progress on this, and now you chicken out of the explorer shape!!! I know that once we get old the heavy guitars start to kick our back, but what you can do is to plane it down 1/4"-1/2" and chamber it, then put a maple or whatever you may like cap on it! PLus those other variations of the explorer are for sizzies!

Hey Maiden!

I'll give it some more thought. Maybe I'll do the star body after all. Problem is though, that I can't plane it now. It's too damn big! I'd love to cap it.

PLus those other variations of the explorer are for sizzies!

Do you mean all variations or just the ones Cud posted, becaue I remember a while back you made a nice little kelly (it was nuckin futs), im just joking ya.

I say do the explorer or ML but I personally don't really like the 2 others you posted, the rounded edge doesn't look as stylish. :D

Good luck.

CUD man Im not going to tell ya what to do-----------------OH WAIT yes I am :D build the explorer

DO NOT BLUNT THE WEPAON THAT IS THE EXPLORER

PLEASE!!

!!METAL MATT!! :D

Do you mean all variations or just the ones Cud posted, becaue I remember a while back you made a nice little kelly (it was nuckin futs), im just joking ya.

Just the others... As far as variations, I mean the star, iceman, and some others. The Jackson Kelly, Ibanez Destroyer II ( the original looks too much like the iceman), ESP EX are still "true" to the explorer shape

Cud, you could make a jig like Setch and Mika and just rout the 1/4" off, then clean it with a big piece of 2X4 with sand paper to true it. Then just chamber and glue the cap.

Just the others... As far as variations, I mean the star, iceman, and some others. The Jackson Kelly, Ibanez Destroyer II ( the original looks too much like the iceman), ESP EX are still "true" to the explorer shape

Cud, you could make a jig like Setch and Mika and just rout the 1/4" off, then clean it with a big piece of 2X4 with sand paper to true it. Then just chamber and glue the cap.

Oh! I forgot all about that jig. Where can I see it or get plans?

Thanks a ton Maiden!

Hey Matt! I knew you'd like the pointy-weapon-looking body. :D

I personally do not see a problem with a bolt on on an explorer. I built a V with a bolt on and the neck pocket is so tight, I consider it to be as good as a properly built set neck guitar. Next one will be a set neck, just to see if there are any sonic differences.

With a bolt on, I think that if the heel is properly contoured and the neck fits right, it should be stellar.

F.M.

:D

I personally do not see a problem with a bolt on on an explorer. I built a V with a bolt on and the neck pocket is so tight, I consider it to be as good as a properly built set neck guitar. Next one will be a set neck, just to see if there are any sonic differences.

With a bolt on, I think that if the heel is properly contoured and the neck fits right, it should be stellar.

F.M.

I agree. It's just a body after all. Right now, I'm not sure if I'm going to change the body shape or not. I'm really considering building the router jig so I can take the body down to 1.5" so I can cap it.

Here you go.  This is basicly the same design.  I would substitute the MDF with something a bit more sturdy, or reinforce with aluminum angle bar.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=18537

Although Maiden's suggestion will make it more sturdy, the way I designed this jig, with two layers of 5/8" MDF for the sled is plenty strong and does not flex under the weight of the router on its own, especially with smaller routers. It will flex a bit if you apply some downward pressure (~1mm), so when I use it, I only slide the router, not push down on it.

Btw, I recently built Mika's neck pocket jig on the right-hand-side of my router planing jig. Two-in-one! Maybe I'll post a picture soon.

If you are having doubts about building it, don't. This is such a usefull jig. I use it so often. Thickness planing for headstock venner, fingerboard, body surfaces, etc. I don't know how I would do things without it.

Araz

Here you go.  This is basicly the same design.  I would substitute the MDF with something a bit more sturdy, or reinforce with aluminum angle bar.

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=18537

Although Maiden's suggestion will make it more sturdy, the way I designed this jig, with two layers of 5/8" MDF for the sled is plenty strong and does not flex under the weight of the router on its own, especially with smaller routers. It will flex a bit if you apply some downward pressure (~1mm), so when I use it, I only slide the router, not push down on it.

Btw, I recently built Mika's neck pocket jig on the right-hand-side of my router planing jig. Two-in-one! Maybe I'll post a picture soon.

If you are having doubts about building it, don't. This is such a usefull jig. I use it so often. Thickness planing for headstock venner, fingerboard, body surfaces, etc. I don't know how I would do things without it.

Araz

I'd like to see a picture of that. I will also be building some of these jigs in the future, since I now know how hard it is to build these things by hand :D

looks good, dave. I'll have to check out how your other guitar ended up too :D

• 3 weeks later...

Im really happy that you went with the explorer!! It's going to look deadly

!!METAL MATT!! :D

• 4 weeks later...