Spruce For Electric Guitar?

If I am wrong about this, someone correct me please...

I think someone on this forum has used a spruce top on their guitar. Try using the search in the In progressed and Finished section. You're better off to get it as a top, instead of the whole thing. From what I have heard, the best grades of spruce are getting harder to find. Yamaha made a solid body electric nylon guitar using an alder body with a spruce top. For some reason they took it off the market after a year or two. The tonal properties I am sure would be the same, however don't expect it to be amazing as an acoustic :D.

From what I have read sitka spruce has the best velocity of sound and produces more sustain than any other guitar top. I would love to build a guitar made of mahogany with a sitka spruce top, mahogany neck and ebony fretboard...mmmmmmmmm ebony.

If this doesn't help, try using google.

-Jamie

its a wench to finish though every time you touch it it gets a dent in it. and the finish isn't that durable. its a softwood so it is extremely easy to work with though

I talked to my owner of local wood shop, who specialized in spruce, and he recommends a whole body out of spruce...however he did mention it was really soft. How about painting the guitar and adding layers of poly to strenghten it?

www.bois-lutherie.com

By the way, i'm considering building a PRS type guitar (semi hollow) out of it. No F holes though.

I'm torn between a basswood-spruce top or spruce-spruce top...?