New Pin Router

bigdguitars

• 1 month later...
update:

Now to figure out what a capacitor run motor is....

I could help you with this but I need more info. I worked with cap runned motors in Garage Door openers, like the Stanley and the Genies. Also on semi industrial ones like the Link Controls, Link Masters, Stanleys etc.

I thought that the router was a cap started motor, can you post a pic?

Is this a 110V or a 220V.

The drawing looks a bit confusing to me,

1,5 and 4,8 are hot or 110V, black wire from the house

I was going to say that were the white wire from the SE goes was the neutral wire, but it is impossible to be that because of the jumper between block 2 and 3. So I'm clueless about that one.

Last block to the right is your mechanical ground, or the green wire from the house, this should be attached to the chassis of the router.

Now normaly the number you see are the numbers on the cables from the motor,

1 and 4 is the running coil, and 5 and 8 are the starting coil which should be interrupted by a starting switch inside the motor.

My only concern is that it says it is a starting and running capacitor, and I see one of the caps in the diagram being used but not the other one (the one between 4 and 8 as a starting cap).

orgmorg and Maiden is correct.. I just asked an electrician who works with us. GND goes back to the motor frame or any place you can get a ground for the circuit. The first and fourth connections each have 110 connected to it as you can tell from the sine wave symbol below each. I was told that if you connected 8 to ground you'll blow out that part of it. So please don't do that.. lol

You might want to get someone to come and set that up for you. No offense, I am sure you are capable but I would hate to see that monster get messed up :D

Almost all the Baldor, Lesson, and most electric motors have a start cap, it just give the stator a nice JOLT of juice to get it running in a hurry, ... you haven't been Zapped by a capacitor? If you have, you know what the motor feels, instant gratification,... that's if you don't piss your pants.

• 3 weeks later...

Router finally working.

The f'n thing draws 50 amps to start and 20 at run time. I had to mod the wiring more than I thought. Will post pics/video later.

The motor runs warmer than I thought. any one have something like this?

For some reason this thing also blows out the top bearning bits that I use. Any thought to that?

I blew two of them tonight...

-derek

when you have a book mathched piece of wood its fairly easy to line it up that way, at least that is what I am used to from the old routers I have had.

The template just slaps on the top and route from there. I was just messing around today, will redo most of my templates. just wanted to play with my new tool.

I still dont understand. The whole point of a pin router is the pin acting as the guide, in place of a bearing., running against a bottom mounted template. I see what you were doing I guess, I just dont undestand the point. I imagine that it is wearing hard on the bearing because unlike a handheld router, you dont really have any "feel" as to the pressure you are applying to the bit. You might be putting too much stress on the bit. I imagine that a short end mill would be your best bet in that monster.

I still dont understand. The whole point of a pin router is the pin acting as the guide, in place of a bearing., running against a bottom mounted template. I see what you were doing I guess, I just dont undestand the point.

Jay, that's pretty much the point. Bearings are only available in a limited number of sizes. Pins can be any size. We have pins down to 1/16" (handy for doing the switch blade slot.) We also have a set of pins .010" under, .005" under, exact, .005" over and .010" over our main straight bit size (3/8").

A couple of more advantages are:

Templates are a lot easier to make if they're 1:1. They are a little more of a pain to align on the opposite side of the workpiece, but there are ways to guarantee alignment.

The machine is big and bulky and stays put. You move the work piece instead of having to clamp the workpiece to something big and bulky and move a 10 lb router.

Even though the bit is exposed, you can see the cut much better. I feel safer using my pin router than using the table router where the bit is usually obscured by the workpiece.