Slotted Frettless Fretboard

Well I've been veiwing this site for a while now and it has really given me some awsome ideas. Right now my project is to build a six string fretless bass as simply and cheaply as possible. I want my neck to be frettless but still have the fret lines.

My question is this if i bought a slotted six string bass fretboard from warmoth and filled the slots with some contrasting wood, would this give me the desired effect without looking terrible? Also i have a problem of having hardley any tools so if it required some sort of mildly expnsive tool i'd have to track somebody down who already had one and im sure some of you guys know how tough this can be. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What type of base wood are you planning for the fretboard? rosewood, ebony? Dark on light looks better than light on dark. So I would use a maple fretboard and then use sawdust from a dark wood. Fill the slots with alternating layers of CA glue (superglue) and your dark wood powder. Use a block w/ matching fretboard radius and sand smooth.

What type of base wood are you planning for the fretboard?  rosewood, ebony?  Dark on light looks better than light on dark.  So I would use a maple fretboard and then use sawdust from a dark wood.  Fill the slots with alternating layers of CA glue (superglue) and your dark wood powder.  Use a block w/ matching fretboard radius and sand smooth.

What about using would veneer instead of sawdust?