Quilted Maple Sanding

ok well im sanding down the 3A quilt top on my guitar, i did the same to the headsrock veneer and it looks great although i used different methods on it.

-I have a drill with 120grit disc and a 400grit

-different grades of sand paper

-cabinet scraper

what is the best method of sanding the top so that there is a nice contrast between the light and darker patches on the quilt as i will black stain it later and then put a blue stain over it?

using fine sandpaper doesn't seem to do much? what shall i do? I did use an wedge shaped sander thingy on it to start with and im thinking it might have squashe the fibres or something.

cheers

Matt

Did you read the post??? The 1st sentence on the quote gives you the answer to your 1st question, and the other one , you don't need grain filler, I don't know were you see that, unless you are filing the grain on mahogany, ash or any other wood with thick pores. Ans sanding sealer is not a must, but it made my work easier. You can do with laquer but you will need many more coats than SS