Preslotted Nuts V. Diy Nuts V. Custom Made Nuts

Hey all,

I'm starting my 12-sting project soon, and the only thing I havn't really decided on is the nut. Since there is a shortage of pre-slotted 12-string nuts, and I don't want to attempt one myself for a 12-string first try, how much would a luthier charge for something like this? I live in the boonies, so I don't have the luxury of a local guitar builder.

And, would it really be worth it to have a luthier do it? I'd imagine the difference between that and a preslotted nut would be pretty significant.

AND, if that's the rout I go, should I put a bone blank in the spot for the luthier to cut, or should I just cut a slot for the nut and let him have at it?

Thoughts, discussions, insults? I'm open to all!

Andy

I don't know what the "first" question that should be asked would be, but an important one somewhere along the way would be: do you have the tools for the job and/or the willingness to buy/make and learn the tools?

Greg

Well, if it's any comfort:

1. blanks are cheap (at least compared to the overall project) so you can usually afford to screw a few up

2. even after making your own, and it doesn't sound or feel right, they can be removed with varying degrees of difficulty, but I can't imagine a situation in which it'd be "impossible" to remove it

3. At the end of the day, even though I myself would be hesitant to do it, for someone with a bit of skill and confidence, it still doesn't seem to be rocket science, and there are good tutorials out there to help you through it.

So, I guess what I'm saying is that nothing ventured, nothing gained. :D

Greg

Slotting a nut is usually a 20-40 dollar fee at our guitar stores. It's truly not rocket science.. but you do need to have the right tools. I have bought pre slotted the first few times because I don't have the 60 bucks to throw down on the file set.. But i will certainly do that as soon as I can free up the cash.

I've done just fine without the specialty file set so far. I use a razor saw to lay out the spacing and get the depth close, then I use feeler gauge "saws" (feeler gauges with notches cut in the edges) to get just a hair about the right height, then I round up the bottom with a need file and sand it up good.

Cool.. I may just have to do that. What did you notch the feeler gauges with?

For some nut material check your local countertop fabricator. If you want to make your own see if they'll cut you a strip off of a scrap piece of solid surface. (Corion is one brand). Most shops do some work with this stuff these days.

Takes a minute to set up a saw to the right setting and run a three foot scrap through. Comes in nifty colors too. I'll do something like that for a ten spot, so I image, will most other woodchucks.